Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What were they thinking w/ riddled basins?

I just spent more than an hour studying and trying to understand the passage about riddled basins. I think i got it but what was LSAC thinking when they allowed this to be published. It is such an intricate passage and the questions ask for an actual understanding of what riddled basins are, not just testing our ability to understand reasoning structure

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    the questions ask for an actual understanding of what riddled basins are, not just testing our ability to understand reasoning structure

...Which is kind of what RC passages are designed to do. I understand your feelings though. It is certainly more complex than the usual science passage.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I loved this passage the first time. I tend to like science passages, though.

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

Yeah, that passage can burn in hell. However, it does serve as a learning point in terms of anticipating what to expect from the LSAT writers.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

Thanks for making me laugh w the title

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    I just spent more than an hour studying and trying to understand the passage about riddled basins. I think i got it but what was LSAC thinking when they allowed this to be published. It is such an intricate passage and the questions ask for an actual understanding of what riddled basins are, not just testing our ability to understand reasoning structure

Cracking up at title!! It is an infamous science passage but a few of us have been working on recognizing the cookie cutter aspect of the science Process passages that require more than a shallow understanding of the process as you recognized!

A couple of similar passages:
    PT2 Passage 3 - Waterbugs
    PT48 Passage 4 Embryo Polarity
    PT 49 Passage 4 Maize

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Embryo Polarity <3

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

@twssmith yeah iv done those passages and noticed the similarity, after sitting and analyzing the passage for 1.5 hrs i feel like i completely understand it but i dont feel any better prepared for another passage akin to it [if that makes sense]. Not sure if i wasted my limited time on it or not

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

You know who took PT50 as the real LSAT back in September 2006?

J.Y. Ping.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

Nathaniel,
    I hear you about trying to really understand what was going on with the riddled basins, I have spent hours on it personally and on the side with different small study groups.

The main takeaway for me that I try to share with others - recognize asap that a passage is process oriented and that it will likely take a little more time up front reading it to have a semblance of a grasp on a more detailed level than you would on other passages. This awareness is not limited to science passages; science passages lend themselves to be more recognizable but art and the other types can follow a similar type of construction.

Calling @Daniel.Sieradzki to share more insight :)

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

( @akistotle - can you help? Daniel S's name doesn't populate my drop down list :)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

They are trying to freak you with abtruse science concepts and see if you can maintain your cool and be able to get a high level view of how the basins work. I recall that when i did that passage a while back, i had no idea what the passage just said. I did have a good idea what each paragraph's purpose were so I was able use the proper lines to answer each question.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@twssmith said:
    ( @akistotle - can you help? Daniel S's name doesn't populate my drop down list :)

Hmm the tagging seems to be working now...Let me know if it happens again!

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

@twssmith another passage that might be along the lines of what you mentioned isPT 38-3-1 about controlled burns. Very detail heavy and for a few of the questions we've got to not only read between the lines, but piece together information.