Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Test Prep Course or No?

blacknerdsmbblacknerdsmb Free Trial Member
in General 22 karma

Hello, Newbie to 7Sage
For those who have taken the LSAT already. Do you believe it's necessary to take a LSAT Test Prep Course ? My academic adviser doesn't believe in it. She thinks I should just take the practice test under time constraints and call it a day. I should also add that I am looking to take the September 2018 Test and I will also be taking summer classes and working part-time throughout the summer. Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

I can assure you100% that a prep course is necessary. I've taken the LSAT twice and will be taking it for a 3rd time in June and am still learning things.

You without a doubt should do some sort of prep course.

• blacknerdsmbblacknerdsmb Free Trial Member
    22 karma

@ZaTabler said:
    I can assure you100% that a prep course is necessary. I've taken the LSAT twice and will be taking it for a 3rd time in June and am still learning things.

You without a doubt should do some sort of prep course.

Thank you! this helped tremendously.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yes even peopl with high diagnostics have benefited from using a course. Academic advisors arent always well informed ahout LS

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I don't think you need an in person course. The 7sage courses work fine.

The most bare bones way I would be comfortable recommending would be the Powerscore Bibles for LR and RC the free Logic Games explanation from 7sage and a ton of prep tests with 7sage style blind review.

One timed prep test would not be enough prep to do your best. If you ended up doing halfway well with that little prep you would be better served by doing some serious studying and doimg extremely well.

22 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Yes even peopl with high diagnostics have benefited from using a course. Academic advisors arent always well informed ahout LS

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

The most bare bones way I would be comfortable recommending would be the Powerscore Bibles for LR and RC the free Logic Games explanation from 7sage and a ton of prep tests with 7sage style blind review.

One timed prep test would not be enough prep to do your best. If you ended up doing halfway well with that little prep you would be better served by doing some serious studying and doimg extremely well.

Thank you! It looks like I'll be doing the test prep. Does anyone have experience with Varsity Tutors?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

A couple hundred on test prep --> higher score --> $$k to $$$k in savings from scholarships Totally worth it.
    Sorry, I have no experience with Varsity Prep. Just this and the Power Bibles. The basic starter course here has been amazing for me, tho. And I love that I can do it on my own time. I work, go to school, and have a family.

• jhanco10jhanco10 Alum Member
    195 karma

The 7sage course is awesome!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

7sage was the key for a 13 point increase on my LSAT, which means tons more scholarship money and acceptance to better schools than I ever would have had on my own. 1000% recommend 7sage. It's also very cost efficient. If money is an issue, even just the Starter course is enough to significantly help prepare you.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@blacknerdsmb said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

Thank you! It looks like I'll be doing the test prep. Does anyone have experience with Varsity Tutors?

People here may try to be objective, but you should know you are basically asking 7sage users and former users what type of prep to use. We generally like 7sage and we'll tell you why. The starter package got me from 172 to 180. I think foolproofing is the clear best strategy for improving on logic games and 7 sage pushes it aggressively by making the logic games explanations free online for everyone. Additionally, I think that the ability to rewind, pause, and watch videos slower or faster makes the 7sage explanations overall better than an in-person class.

But you can't expect us to be informed on other prep courses unless you get lucky/unlucky and someone used one before switching to 7sage.

Maybe try the lawschoollife forum or reddit's law sub-reddit for a more balanced perspective.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    edited April 2018 588 karma

I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST* AN IN PERSON COURSE!!!
    7sage is awesome, and if you want more material then you can try the PowerScore LG bible and the LR Bible!
    The reason I advise against an in-person course, is it is VERY EXPENSIVE and not as helpful as you'd expect. For example, they usually rush through material for the three types of sections on an actual LSAT. So, let's say you are really struggling with LR, but doing well on LG, and they spend a LOT of time on LG. The breakdown of the class is they go over material, give you a few minutes to do practice questions, then they answer some questions from the class.
    What usually happens is that lets say you got 4 or 5 out of five questions right, but there is always that student who is completely lost, and you spend 20 minutes going over a question you got right and understood in the first place!!

With 7sage and self-studying, you go at your own pace and focus on your weakest sections, in an in-person class you do not.

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma

There's an obvious selection bias in that you're asking folks who have invested in, or at least believe the community around, a prep course. I found 7sage to be worth every penny.

I'm more concerned, however, about your pre-law advisor's advice. It's objectively bad advice. She clearly does not have a good understanding of law school admissions. You should look skeptically on any advice she gives. Spend some time here and on Law School Life. A lot of time. Read threads for the next few weeks then start asking questions. Don't spend too much time with this advisor.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Honestly? That's what got me here. I would work in the LG Bible, be utterly confused on why I kept missing a question, then go to the free explanations of the problem. Eventually, I got to the point where I was hitting up the videos so much, I thought "What on earth am I doing? I'm going here anyway..". Got the free course sample, then made the leap, and was extremely happy with what I bought. It does bias my view, for sure. But, if you find yourself coming back to JY's free LG problem explanations over and over again because whatever you're using isn't working out.. you might be really happy here, too.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

The kind of advice I've seen from advisers, even pre-law advisers has often blown me away... You 100% need to prep and the prep you need to do at a minimum will be close to a semester's worth of work imo.

I am confident in saying that there are at least 10+ hopeful law students on 7sage that could do a better job advising than some of these advisers being EMPLOYED by universities... it's like some of these advisers were given 3 bullet-points that they spit out to all prospective law students without giving any actually useful insights.

22 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:
    The kind of advice I've seen from advisers, even pre-law advisers has often blown me away... You 100% need to prep and the prep you need to do at a minimum will be close to a semester's worth of work imo.

I am confident in saying that there are at least 10+ hopeful law students on 7sage that could do a better job advising than some of these advisers being EMPLOYED by universities... it's like some of these advisers were given 3 bullet-points that they spit out to all prospective law students without giving any actually useful insights.

I agree 100%. I wish they would get fresh faces in academic advising positions. Who have recently gone through the law school admissions process at least in the past 10 years.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

@blacknerdsmb said:

@"mickey.caleb" said:

I agree 100%. I wish they would get fresh faces in academic advising positions. Who have recently gone through the law school admissions process at least in the past 10 years.

Haha well, you came to the right place! There is no better law school admissions community than 7sage. There is a core of contributors that set a great example and won't tolerate negativity! I don't consider myself one of them... but this is the ONLY place I've bothered to make an account and post at all because it's been that helpful in my journey. This is coming from someone who has doesn't have fb, twitter, instagram... nothing! haha