Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explain Answer Choice

BroccoliBroccoli Core Member

LSAT 21.S2.Q5 For D, it says, "Concedes the very point that it argues against."

I thought it meant this person is not arguing against the main point of the argument. However, the other website explanation says it's circular reasoning answer. Is it really circular reasoning ...?

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

Circular reasoning would mean that the argument in question concedes (?) the very point that it argues for, not against.

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

@FixedDice :neutral: ...?

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I think an example of this would be (haven't actually looked at this question)

Person a: pizza sucks because x

Person b: how could you? pizza is the greatest thing ever blah blah blah but yeah pizza can sometimes suck depending on the recipe/chef etc.

So b is arguing against the idea that pizza sucks but is also conceding that it can suck.

I don't know how it would be circular reasoning. Because then the person would just be repeating/supporting their conclusion using the conclusion and vice versa. But maybe it's a hybrid of the two.

Person b: how could you? Pizza is the greatest thing ever because it's amazing. It can sometimes suck because of the recipie used or the skills of the cook but it's the greatest thing ever.

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    edited April 2018 403 karma

I don't think it means circular reasoning, but a contradictory statement -- "X but not X"

Circular reasoning would be --"X because X" or "it's wrong because it's wrong " (which coincidentally would be a better explanation to why D is wrong, than saying circular reasoning lol)

I think whoever wrote that explanation was just quickly rattling off why the wrong AC's were wrong, and didn't put any effort in.

edit: On second thought, it isn't contradictory, it could go like "yes we should do something about global warming, but it's useless to do something about global warming".

In the end answer choice D doesn't describe the flaw, or the argument.

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    edited April 2018 352 karma

OHH~ Everything makes sense now.