Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling Awful about Cumulative GPA

MicolashMicolash Member
edited May 2018 in Law School Admissions 218 karma

So I learned not long ago that LSAC counts all the grades you have ever received. I spent two years at a CC and then transferred over to an university. During my time at the CC, I didn't do so well due to familial circumstances (3.2). Three years later, I am graduating in June with two majors and a minor at a 3.9 GPA. If LSAC counts everything, I'm very afraid that lowers my GPA down to a 3.6 or 3.7 and I'm feeling awful right now knowing that my chances at T10 have been basically dashed due to that rough time in my life. Does anyone have any advice to share?

Comments

• MicolashMicolash Member
    218 karma

Thank you for the advice! Though, the fact that my cumulative GPA may be brought down pretty much means I have no shot at HYS (unrealistic as that is unless I get like a perfect score on the LSAT) and Berkeley (my dream school)?

218 karma

I did the math and I believe I'll end up at a 3.7. It's definitely not the end of the world, but it is still extremely disappointing to me (LSAC, why?!). I suppose my only choice would be to work very, very hard on the LSAT and do the very best that I can.

I haven't taken the LSAT (plan to do so this September) and I haven't been able to study extensively for it due to my current schedule. I plan on spending my summer as effectively as I can, however. Thank you so much for your advice! It's helped me feel a lot better though I can't help but beat myself up over my grades back in CC. Had I known I wanted to go to Law School then...

• mariev22mariev22 Member
    57 karma

@Micolash I'm in the same boat (challenging life circumstances that made it very difficult to keep grades up during a semester or so) and now having to rely on a close-to-perfect LSAT score (also planning on taking the September test) - so I pray for things to go well for us both!!!

218 karma

@mariev22 said:
    @Micolash I'm in the same boat (challenging life circumstances that made it very difficult to keep grades up during a semester or so) and now having to rely on a close-to-perfect LSAT score (also planning on taking the September test) - so I pray for things to go well for us both!!!

Good luck! If my cumulative GPA lands me around a 3.7, HYS might still be in reach! Let's do our very best!

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma

I got into Berkeley with a 3.3. You're not sunk. You are in need of a solid LSAT score and kick ass app materials.

• NerdSquad11NerdSquad11 Alum Member
    30 karma

HYS is a stretch with a 3.7 unless you are URM. I wouldn’t rule out t14 though

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

@Rtwrtw8 said:
    Some universities also don't really consider LSAC's GPA (some schools have their own way of calculating applicants' GPAs) so there's also that.

@Rtwrtw8 Anyone know if/which schools calculate their own? LSAC's calculation brings my GPA down a solid .1 pts haha

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@ATLsat_2019 said:

@Rtwrtw8 said:
    Some universities also don't really consider LSAC's GPA (some schools have their own way of calculating applicants' GPAs) so there's also that.

@Rtwrtw8 Anyone know if/which schools calculate their own? LSAC's calculation brings my GPA down a solid .1 pts haha

Schools almost universally go by the LSAC calculation. The incentive to improve US News ranking set in part based on median LSAC GPA is too strong.

Berkeley used to reweight GPAs based on grade inflation/deflation, but doesn't anymore.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" thanks for clarifying

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@Rtwrtw8 said:
    Hey @"Seeking Perfection" is there a source that US News uses LSAC's GPA when ranking law schools as opposed to GPAs listed on the students' transcripts? If so, I suppose there is an incentive.

However, GPA policies differ across universities (for example, some of my classes award A+'s which would be weighted as a 4.3 and thus my LSAC GPA would actually be higher; however, such opportunities may not be afforded at another institution). Consequently, I would be very surprised if law schools didn't have their own methods of recalculating GPAs.

I think A+s are 4.33 repeating actually. There are plenty of people mad about the LSAC GPA especially since not all undergrads have A+'s (mine for example). But it is the one that must be reported and used.

This is what LSAC says about it.

"US grades are converted by LSAC to a standard 4.0 system in order to furnish law schools with a uniform basis for comparing applicants. LSAC-member schools, in establishing the Credential Assembly Service, have selected a common set of numerical values to represent the various grading systems used by colleges. This system may vary from that of the college you attended."
    https://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-cas

I canct find a description from US News, but here is how Top Law Schools described it, "Median Undergrad GPA (10%)
    This is the combined median undergraduate grade-point average of all the full-time and part-time entrants to a law school. The GPA used in this calculation is the LSAC-calculated GPA (LSAC has a specific formula for calculating an applicant’s GPA that can lower or in some cases even raise a candidates actual GPA which is never reported to U.S. News). Note that it is the raw LSAC GPA that is reported to U.S. News, not the grade-inflation-correcting percentile/class rank of an applicant (a data point that LSAC does have and is available to law school admissions offices)."
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/dissecting-the-rankings-news-world-report.html

Hopefully that is official enough.

Law schools are certainly capable of reranking GPAs and some have over the years, but since they want to maximize their ranking they have a pretty strong incentive to focus on median LSAC GPA. If you want to know what a specific school does, check their website call and ask if they reweight GPAs at all to accomodate for some schools not having A+'s. They will probably tell you their policy without even demanding your name. And that policy will almost universally be that they use the LSAC GPA, but are aware of difference in undergrad's grading policies and consider them in their wholistic review.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited May 2018 2531 karma

It will depend on your LSAT. You'll be a splitter somewhat, but remember that most schools use indexes to determine their applicants' quality. At a 3.7 you can most likely land t14 with a 168+ LSAT score.

I'd also like to note that a 3.6-3.7 is still considered a competitive GPA unlike some folks on 7sage who have made successful applications with GPA below 3.2.

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

Regardless, that is a very competitive GPA. Score a high LSAT and your applications won't be overlooked.

218 karma

Thank you for the encouragement, everyone! All hope is not lost...yet. I must ace the LSAT no matter what!

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

@Micolash uGPA of 3.7 is great and definitely I don't think hope is lost. However, if you are still in school completing your undergraduate degree, you have the ability to take extra classes and raise your GPA. Once you graduate, it's set and it can never be changed. If possible, you could put off taking a final required course and take another semester of classes. Not sure of your personal situation but if 9-15 more credits of As would boost your uGPA it may be worth considering. Realistically, spending the money on more undergrad courses, probably isn't beneficial and a 3.7 is great. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have done things differently.

edited June 2018 218 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream Hey, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am graduating this quarter so I don't think I can raise my GPA anymore. Had I known that my cGPA would be this bad, I definitely would have taken more "GPA booster" classes. I have so many regrets. Getting bad grades when classes were an easy A in community college just because I didn't put in the work. But I gotta work with the mistakes of the path so now I'm doing my best for the LSAT. Good luck to you too!