Can I hit 168/169/170 on June 11?

Ruby1234Ruby1234 Alum Member
in General 57 karma

I know this is just a snapshot but you all have been so helpful in the past. I started studying in March after a 156 diagnostic. After the CC my PT scores have been: 160, 162, 166, 164, 164, 165. LR is always my worst section with around 10-12 incorrect, spread across question type. RC is best, and LG varies but usually -3 to -5.

Can I hit 168 or even 170 for June 11 (1 month from now)? I work full time and usually do 1 timed section/night, focusing on LR and one PT on the weekend.

Any tips or feedback? Thaank you!

Comments

• Cofife88Cofife88 Member
    edited May 2018 90 karma

The fact that your best section is RC is a good sign. That is usually the slowest to improve. With a month left, I would say that it is a bit risky to expect a 4-6 point jump from your current average, but it has happened before. If you are already registered for the June test, I would just keep practicing and see where your scores end up before the test. If your scores are where you want them to be, sit for the exam. If they aren't, then withdraw and plan on taking the exam when you are more prepared. If you haven't registered yet, I would hold off until at least July to see if your scores begin to improve to a more satisfactory level.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 3072 karma

With that many wrong consistently, I would say no. 10-12 incorrect per two LR sections is still a significant amount, as is 3-5 on LG. You can bring those numbers down, obviously, but I'm not sure how much progress you can achieve in one month.

How do you drill LR? How do you approach LG? Do you have individual strategies for each question type/game type? At the very least, I would begin to drill LR question types you miss most often, in order of decreasing frequency on an average exam.

Are you good under time? Do you feel anxiety when you test? Do you skip around at all?

• Ruby1234Ruby1234 Alum Member
    57 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    With that many wrong consistently, I would say no. 10-12 incorrect per two LR sections is still a significant amount, as is 3-5 on LG. You can bring those numbers down, obviously, but I'm not sure how much progress you can achieve in one month.

How do you drill LR? How do you approach LG? Do you have individual strategies for each question type/game type? At the very least, I would begin to drill LR question types you miss most often, in order of decreasing frequency on an average exam.

Are you good under time? Do you feel anxiety when you test? Do you skip around at all?

Thanks so much to you both. You've confirmed what I thought. I can be a bit lazy about drilling LR which is part of the issue, but I do go over everything I got wrong, drill that question type/strategy and explain out loud why I got it wrong/what the actual answer is. Time & anxiety aren't issues for me. I usually finish LR sections with 5-8 minutes remaining. Sometimes I end up changing my answer to an incorrect answer so I'm trying to do better at sticking with my initial answer and also trying to remember that I don't need to rush because I'll be fine on time.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

I like to think that nothing is impossible. But test day anxiety and nerves do have a tendency to bring someone several points down as opposed to propel them several points up. Also, how many are you getting wrong during BR? What is your BR score? If your BR score is significantly higher than your timed prep, it could be the case that you're really familiar with the fundamental material -- but just have to work on your confidence and timing.

• Ruby1234Ruby1234 Alum Member
    57 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    I like to think that nothing is impossible. But test day anxiety and nerves do have a tendency to bring someone several points down as opposed to propel them several points up. Also, how many are you getting wrong during BR? What is your BR score? If your BR score is significantly higher than your timed prep, it could be the case that you're really familiar with the fundamental material -- but just have to work on your confidence and timing.

Thank you! I'm averaging 6 or 7 more correct on BR, bringing the score up to ~170, which is partly where my hope is coming from....

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@Ruby1234 said:

@goingfor99th said:

Thanks so much to you both. You've confirmed what I thought. I can be a bit lazy about drilling LR which is part of the issue, but I do go over everything I got wrong, drill that question type/strategy and explain out loud why I got it wrong/what the actual answer is. Time & anxiety aren't issues for me. I usually finish LR sections with 5-8 minutes remaining. Sometimes I end up changing my answer to an incorrect answer so I'm trying to do better at sticking with my initial answer and also trying to remember that I don't need to rush because I'll be fine on time.

Good. Drilling timed sections is a good way increase you confidence in your first choice, but only if your understanding is at a point where your first choice is usually the correct one. The way to achieve that sort of mastery is to drill LR question types rigorously and form strategies for each one. This test is truly intricate in that there are so, so, so many ways to manipulate logic to create confusion. Nothing is a substitute for effective training and extensive exposure to the exam.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

That's awesome! I actually have similar numbers with you during timed/BR. Except, my strong points are LR & LG with typically -0 to -2 on each but like with up to even -10 on RC haha. I'm a firm believer that if it happens in BR, it can obviously happen during time and then some. Good luck :smiley: