Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perspective Shift

EmmetropicEmmetropic Free Trial Member
in General 164 karma

I have implemented perspective shift as I prepare for my test. I used to be extremely concerned with point improvements, finishing on time, test day performance, etc. But I think that these thoughts take up a lot of real estate in my head, inadvertently causing anxiety and interfering with my abilities.

Since the beginning of May, consequently, I have tried to implemented a perspective shift and now only focus on two things: a) doing my best each on each section and b) learning from my mistakes. I don't really care about what score I ultimately get: maybe it'll be below, at, or above my average. I'm not going to go too fast or too slow to be perfect, I'll just react the way I normally react.

This has made preparation much more enjoyable for me. I now simply focus on learning about my intellectual/personal weaknesses and getting better at them. Each wrong question is no longer a blow to my ego, but a chance to learn about myself.

Hopefully this wasn't too preachy and helps others as they take "Preptest 84" or the "Superprep III July 2018 Undisclosed Test."

Comments

• Small_victoriesSmall_victories Free Trial Member
    104 karma

Thank you for sharing your perspective shift. I've been suffering from focusing too much on the score that studying became too emotional. Every wrong question seemed to tell me how terrible I was at this test which really hurt my morale and motivation.

I'll try to implement your method in my studies!

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I love this. I am definitely feeling the test anxiety, and I think taking a deep breath and shifting my perspective will help. Thanks for posting!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 3072 karma

@Emmetropic said:
    I have implemented perspective shift as I prepare for my test. I used to be extremely concerned with point improvements, finishing on time, test day performance, etc. But I think that these thoughts take up a lot of real estate in my head, inadvertently causing anxiety and interfering with my abilities.

Since the beginning of May, consequently, I have tried to implemented a perspective shift and now only focus on two things: a) doing my best each on each section and b) learning from my mistakes. I don't really care about what score I ultimately get: maybe it'll be below, at, or above my average. I'm not going to go too fast or too slow to be perfect, I'll just react the way I normally react.

This has made preparation much more enjoyable for me. I now simply focus on learning about my intellectual/personal weaknesses and getting better at them. Each wrong question is no longer a blow to my ego, but a chance to learn about myself.

Good on you. In my opinion, this is how you should view the LSAT, and is ultimately how law schools want you to think about yourself. Schools want you to be mentally healthy for a number of reasons.