diagnostic test - a discouraging score

keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
edited May 2018 in General 365 karma

Hey everyone,
So, I have been studying on and off for lsats with 7sage because I had school earlier.
I also only studied individual question types through the cirrciculum of 7sage (strengthening/weakening) did not even get through whole cirriculum yet nor had i completed any practice tests...except one last summer - i don't even count that because i was not going in with any strategies. Anyways, thats the context, but I recently took a practice test times and my diagnostic score was 140.

I was very upset with this. But I took in to consideration that I barely completed some sections due to my speed/time.
I barely understood any logic game...and guessed on all of them.
If i study hard for the next 3-4 months (7 sage cirriculum) and do PTs for 1 month - do you believe I have potential to reach atleast 160 - 165 atleast?

I am unsure of wether that will be sufficient time to write the Sep. lsat -

any advice?

thank you all for any suggestions, appreciate it!

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited May 2018 1804 karma

my diagnostic score was 140.

I barely understood any logic game...and guessed on all of them.
    If i study hard for the next 3-4 months (7 sage cirriculum) and do PTs for 1 month - do you believe I have potential to reach atleast 160 - 165 atleast?

I am unsure of wether that will be sufficient time to write the Sep. lsat -

Probably not with a single month of PTing and no Foolproofing. Are you absolutely (and I mean absolutely-absolutely) out of options and dead set on September?

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

You should go through the CC... It's like, really helpful...

• 439 karma

The best person to answer that question, and probably the only person who can, is you in two months after completing the CC and spending a considerable amount of time with the material.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

Is it possible to test in September? Yes. Should you? Depends how much you improve and what score you are comfortable with. Based on personal experience and the stated experience of others, you might want to consider playing the "long game" and go through the program in its entirety.

• farle072farle072 Alum Member
    17 karma

I had a diagnostic of 145 and was able to score 160, but I studied for several months to do it. Logic Games is a very easy area to improve on once you've been exposed to it enough, though at first it will be very challenging I believe it's the easiest to improve on and the funnest part of the test.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Let's say you could get to 160 or 165 by September. That's quite a challenge, but I'm not prepared to say its impossible.

So let's say for the sake of argument that 4 months from now you are scoring a 164 and have improved 24 points in 4 months. That would be an improvement of about 6 points per month. At that point it would be totally unreasonable to take the test in September. If you were improving that fast, you would want to keep pushing your score up till you had a much harder time improving. Now I'm not saying you should expect to ever improve to a score beyond 165 let alone that you should expect it within 4 months. What I'm saying is that the LSAT is a valuable enough test to your future that you should study more for it if continued improvement is remotely feasible and that if you are improving that quickly it would definitely be reasonable to expect more improvement although maybe at a slower rate.

Aim to do as well as you can on the test. That means you should keep studyimg until you can't improve anymore. When determining this keep in mind that most people's progress on the test comes in increases followed by plateaus where they are not improving for a while and then more improvement. Don't get fooled into settling for a score by one of these plateaus. Time studying, a change of study habits, a short break of a few days or a longer one of a few weeks, implementing, altering, or elliminating a skipping strategy, or any of a host of things can help break down these plateaus.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited May 2018 1777 karma

In a month? Probably not. Can you take it in September or November? If you take half of the answers you got wrong and got them right, you'd be at a 158-159. I'm planning on cutting my wrong answers in half over the course of 4-5 months. https://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsat-score-conversion/

I would be very impressed if you scored a 160 a month from now. Of course it's possible, but here's why I'm thinking it's unlikely: doing well on logic games requires a solid logical reasoning foundation. You'd have to move through both of those parts of the curriculum in a month, and that doesn't even touch reading comprehension. If I were you, I'd delay the test so that you can really get your best score.

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

thank you everyone for the helpful comments! appreciate it