Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Truly Unlimited Takes - 7Sage Forum

Truly Unlimited Takes

CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
in General 1270 karma

Are takes essentially unlimited now in the sense your highest score matters? Some people have been questioning this, and I was one of those people. However, schools incentives are too look at the highest score. And since this is a test that one can get better at and also since someone's score is really a range, it seems that it would just make sense for them to take the highest score and move on. Thoughts?

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I think there is a difference between someone who is striving to make changes and improve over time, and those who are just taking one after the other in hopes of getting a fluke score. And I think they'll see that pretty easily. If I were in charge of admittance at a school, I would probably not take someone who took every lsat for two years and had a happy accident, even if it was a really good score. That luck won't fly in actual classes, nor on the bar exam.

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

There might be some red flags if you take the test ten times. But I think it's pretty common for people to take the test 2-3 times. As far as I know the majority of schools really only want the high score anyways, because it raises their admission averages. I'm in the camp of take it until you make it. However, if I'm still not where I want to be by my fourth attempt it's probably a wake up call to pursue another path.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

@July2018Taker said:
    since this is a test that one can get better at

You're right :smile:

My thought is regardless of what admissions offices are going to think, better to keep studying getting better until you're pretty confident you'll score well! (not to mention you won't waste $180 on takes that don't reflect your potential)

I'd also rather schools not see any test scores that don't represent my best effort, personally.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

It costs money so there is no reason to take it before you are somewhat close to your goal.

Additionally a ton of takes to get a good score might look less good in the sense they might pick you later out of the people with your same final stats, but it will not make the difference that two or three points would.

Other than that I would say it is pretty close to unlimited. If there is someone who thinks they can significantly improve on their highest score it is never going to be better for them not to retake to have fewer takes no matter how many takes they have.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2019 1866 karma

It's a qualified "unlimited" in that 2-3 tests is perfectly normal and there's no waiting period to take tests. Like you said, schools seem to look at the highest score and the only place I can think of that seems to prefer one test score is Yale.

Still, like others have said, you're better off waiting until you're hitting your target to take the test, but having taken a test or two shouldn't discourage you from taking another one if you know that you can put in the work and get a better score.