Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing yourself for each question

cvaldez74cvaldez74 Member
in General 130 karma

hi there! I've only taken the diagnostic at this point, so the only timing I did was to set an alarm for the amount of time each section allows. I'm noticing lots of people are timing themselves for each individual question - how are you doing that - stopwatch? I'm assuming you're doing so in order to determine which area(s) you need to improve speed but if there's another reason, could you please share what that is?

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2018 5320 karma

You should download the (free) 7Sage app. It includes a test proctor feature which replicates actual test conditions including timing and the proctor's script.

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry for totally side-stepping your question. Agree with Leah's comment below. I film my PTs but that's not something I'd generally recommend until the fundamentals are strong since filming is used to gauge timing strategies (at least in my case). Anyway, I may for example, observe that I was unsure between two ACs and spent too much time debating when I should have just skipped and returned in my second round.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't do this myself, but I think that a lot of people who are gauging time spent on individual questions do it by recording video of themselves doing a section and reviewing it afterward. I do sort of gauge my time by checking my watch when I turn a page in the test. Like in LR sections, I like to not spend too much time in the beginning, so ideally the first 10 questions are done in 10 minutes. So I kind of check my pace as I go.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

I taped myself for the first time yesterday. It was SO helpful to see exactly where I was wasting time and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who struggles to finish sections on time. I don't time myself on questions while I'm taking the test but it's helpful to go back through the video and time yourself afterward

• HemingwayHemingway Alum Member
    177 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I don't do this myself, but I think that a lot of people who are gauging time spent on individual questions do it by recording video of themselves doing a section and reviewing it afterward. I do sort of gauge my time by checking my watch when I turn a page in the test. Like in LR sections, I like to not spend too much time in the beginning, so ideally the first 10 questions are done in 10 minutes. So I kind of check my pace as I go.

Same here. I check my watch every page or so during timed sections to make sure I'm spending an appropriate amount of time on questions. I mainly do this during the first 10 to 15 questions, and not so much the final 10 when questions become harder.

• CoraMintCoraMint Member
    34 karma

@ATLsat_2019 said:
    I taped myself for the first time yesterday. It was SO helpful to see exactly where I was wasting time and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who struggles to finish sections on time. I don't time myself on questions while I'm taking the test but it's helpful to go back through the video and time yourself afterward

This is an interesting idea! Any tips for setting up the recording?

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

I bought this little guy: http://a.co/2r4KX5m
    Used it to hold my phone over the desk to make a video, then just uploaded it to the computer to play back.

Tons of people on the forum have posted lots of tips for recording as well/various set-ups if you search around a little :smile:

• cvaldez74cvaldez74 Member
    130 karma

thanks everyone! I haven't yet hit the point at which I'm taking PTs (still finishing up lessons) but this will be super helpful when I start taking them.