PT9.S2.Q3 - Balance is particularly important when reporting

Pam BeeslyPam Beesly Alum Member
edited July 2018 in Logical Reasoning 128 karma

I am currently drilling Main Point questions and I have come across question #3 from PT9 Section 2 and I am slightly confused. I chose "this concept of balance, however, does not justify concealing or glossing over basic injustices in an effort to be even-handed" as the main conclusion. I chose answer choice C but I am nonetheless confused as to why B is the correct answer choice.

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

(B) Balanced reporting requires impartially
    revealing injustices where they occur no less
    than fairly presenting the views of each party
    in a conflict.

This answer choice embodies the argument and is well-supported:
    "Facts must not be deliberately manipulated to show one party in a favorable light, and the views of each side should be fairly represented." AND "This concept of balance, however, does not justify concealing or glossing over basic injustices in an effort to be even-handed." could support the statement in answer choice (B): "requires impartially revealing injustices".

(C) Our experience of life shows that there are
    indeed cases in which conflicts arise because
    of an injustice, with one party clearly in the
    wrong.

I see how this answer choice would be tempting; however, there are many problems if you take a closer look: (1) there is no support for this statement (2) it adds information that nonetheless could not be inferred (3) it is not the central thought of the argument.

(1) This statement cannot be supported by the stimulus. It mis-attributes information from the hypothetical.
    (2) "Our experience of life shows that there are indeed cases in which conflicts arise because of an injustice, with one party clearly in the wrong." the stimulus never mentions anything regarding how conflicts arise.
    (3) The main point/central thought of the argument is involves balance, without a doubt. This answer choice does not mention nor does it imply a sense of balance.

• Pam BeeslyPam Beesly Alum Member
    128 karma

@"MinnaH." Thank you so much!!!!

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

@FordhamHopeful of course!