Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice Needed!! July

Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
edited June 2018 in General 394 karma

I really want to start this year so I emailed the school of choice (buffalo) to see if they’d take my july exam. It’s my first score. Here’s what they said: just didn’t know if you guys had any thoughts if I’d have a shot or not. Like if spots are filled etc. I have a meeting Monday. Thanks!

Thank you for your email. July LSAT scores are expected to be released on or around August 10, which is just 10 (or so) days before mandatory orientation and just 11 days before 1L classes begin (LAWR). While it's technically possible for us to accept the July LSAT, you would need to be prepared, if admitted, to begin law school in about a week's time. If you are interested in applying with the July LSAT, I encourage you to schedule a short phone call with Dean Lindsay Gladney to discuss in greater detail.

Admin note: please refrain from posting in all caps

Comments

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@"Drew Alterio" said:
    I really want to start this year so I emailed the school of choice (buffalo) to see if they’d take my july exam. It’s my first score. Here’s what they said: just didn’t know if you guys had any thoughts if I’d have a shot or not. Like if spots are filled etc. I have a meeting Monday. Thanks!

Thank you for your email. July LSAT scores are expected to be released on or around August 10, which is just 10 (or so) days before mandatory orientation and just 11 days before 1L classes begin (LAWR). While it's technically possible for us to accept the July LSAT, you would need to be prepared, if admitted, to begin law school in about a week's time. If you are interested in applying with the July LSAT, I encourage you to schedule a short phone call with Dean Lindsay Gladney to discuss in greater detail.

If you go to Buffalo with your July score, you'll be paying full price to go to law school. If that's a financial choice you wish to make, then go for it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@"Drew Alterio" said:

If you go to Buffalo with your July score, you'll be paying full price to go to law school. If that's a financial choice you wish to make, then go for it.

That's not necessarily true. They may still give a scholarship. If there was a funds or class size issue, I think they would have explicitly said so in the email. Either way, OP should schedule a call with the dean and find out. Sounds like they are open to accepting a July score.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

According to the required ABA employment disclosure for 2017, 63% of Buffalo law grads secure a job requiring bar passage.

Paying sticker at a school where employment outcomes are this uncertain seems to me an unwise decision. That being said, I do not believe that graduates from lower-ranked schools are inferior to others, but that to assume success in a situation that Is statistically inconsistent with widespread success is illogical. But, as others have said, if you are willing to assume potentially life-crushing debt with no guarantee of repayment capabilities, then that’s your decision. If you think that you need to move forward with law school this year, I suggest that you do some serious soul searching about why you feel that you need to do that.

I wish the best of luck to you moving forward, and the best of luck for you as a future attorney.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Just cancel your meeting and wait 2 months until September. You don't have to go now.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@"Drew Alterio" said:

That's not necessarily true. They may still give a scholarship. If there was a funds or class size issue, I think they would have explicitly said so in the email. Either way, OP should schedule a call with the dean and find out. Sounds like they are open to accepting a July score.

If you've heard of schools giving scholarships for a late June score for a Fall enrollment then I stand corrected. But I doubt that late in the cycle they have a lot of money to give to the student.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@"Drew Alterio" said:

If you've heard of schools giving scholarships for a late June score for a Fall enrollment then I stand corrected. But I doubt that late in the cycle they have a lot of money to give to the student.

They dont "give" money to students. They just lower the tuition amount or if you get a full ride then they waive your tuition. It's not like a bank vault with $$$ that runs dry by the end of the cycle. Not saying they will certainly consider a late admit or that he will get a scholarship, just saying it does happen.

• Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
    edited June 2018 394 karma

Thanks for the advice. Just didn’t know if I had a chance since I really would like to get started. I want to go to this school since it has a good local reputation and I want to stay in the area.