Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I be writing a addendum?

TigerDenTigerDen Alum Member

I finished my second year of undergrad with a 2.78 gpa. I transferred to another 4-year school and finished my bachelor's degree there. At that school, I had a 3.98 gpa and according to LSAC, my cumulative gpa is 3.32 from both schools. Should I be writing an addendum to speak about my grades or am I fine since my cumulative gpa is decent for law school?

Comments

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma

Yes! You are a perfect case for an addendum! It's not particularly compelling to say, "I could have done better, if only." But it's very compelling to say, "I could have done better…and in fact, I did." You should explain to an admissions committee why your second GPA is a better reflection of your potential and your likelihood to succeed in law school than your first GPA. See more here:

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/when-to-write-a-non-required-addendum/

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-write-a-non-required-addendum/

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Absolutely. Just don't make it seem like you're making excuses. I think the post above will explain everything you need to know!

• TigerDenTigerDen Alum Member
    edited July 2018 59 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" @"David.Busis" If I write an addendum about how my first year of college I didn't know what to major in and was just testing out different areas of study, would that be good or would that be viewed as an excuse? Once I found out what I wanted to major in, I was able to excel and my grades are reflective of that.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I wouldn't even mention the major change. Most people change their majors multiple times, and it'll seem like you didn't care enough to work hard on courses you weren't passionate about. If that's the actual reason (totally valid irl), I would say something about how you lacked maturity coming straight out of high school, but something happened and you realized that you needed to step up and prioritize school. Acknowledging your "mistake" and making the effort to correct it shows maturity.