3 months to study - tips please?

Awfully LawfulAwfully Lawful Alum Member
edited July 2018 in General 6 karma

Hi!

I've started my 7Sage course this week and I've just finished up until learning how to BR. I guess the serious business only starts after that.

I'm registered for the October LSAT in Abu Dhabi (hence the odd date) and aiming for a 170+. I did a diagnostic from Khan Academy and got a 150.

With barely 3 months to study, do you have tips on how to best optimize my studying? Initially I thought of spending 2 months on the CC and then PT-ing in the month to follow.

Also I'll add, I realise that I am studying at an extremely slow pace, slower than the time stamps next to each topic :(

I don't know...please help!

Comments

• thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    433 karma

The best advice is probably you need more than 3 months. But if you really don’t want that 170 and just want a higher score then perfect games / work on LR / RC in that order

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

I agree to get to 170 plus you will most likely need more then 3 months to study. Finish the cc - then do a post cc pt to see where you sit at . Do not rush through the cc or you will have to go through it again. Once you do the above you need to get section averages and figure out where your main weaknesses are work on those.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I agree with the above advice. Don't put a deadline on your future!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, echoing the others. I'll be really honest, 3 months is very unlikely to hit your target. But the best you can do is be really efficient with your studying. Make sure you're not wasting any time, watch the videos on a faster speed if possible (love that 7sage lets you do that!). But make sure not to breeze over anything without really understanding it. The more tips that I have are really just for the time period after you finish the cc. So, I think my only tip for the moment is working through the cc the best you can, hit us up with any questions if you need, and then let us know when you finish the cc and we can give you study tips once you're out on your own. :) Good luck!

• Awfully LawfulAwfully Lawful Alum Member
    6 karma

Thank you all. I was really hoping I can score 170+ as I am aiming to apply for fall 2019. My rush is for personal reasons. I guess I'll do the best I can and if I have to- postpone my future if it means getting into the right school.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

I'll be frank, it won't happen. 150 to 170 is about 40-50 more right questions. You have a lot of work to do. But that doesn't mean you need to do 40 hours a week of studying. Do 10-20, take the time to review and completely understand the elements of the question. Identify the conclusion and the supporting premises, take your time making extra worlds, slowing down on RC to understand the structure and relationships happening, and sometimes taking the time to eliminate the wrong answers. At your current level, I wouldn't even worry about timing, just take one problem, spend as much time as possible on it in order to develop that mastery.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    edited July 2018 614 karma

It is doable but it will depend on a combination of your natural ability and how much you are capable of dedicating yourself to it. I started with a 151, used 7sage basic + the LSAT test books with 10 tests each in them to study through the last week of September and October/November (hit 170+ on my last 4/5 PT's before test) and hit 164 on my Dec. 2nd test.

Between the Dec. 2nd and Feb. 10th test I only took 2 PT's, without BR, and left with a 172 on the February test. So, technically, it took me 4 months total time to secure a 172 on a legit exam but the timing of when you test is a little different than mine, essentially offering you an extra month before your first test and hopefully you can avoid the conditions of my first testing experience.

I was PT'ing up to the day before the Dec. test which I think was a mistake... also, poor testing conditions at the location.. flip-up desks the size of an 8"x12" piece of computer paper caused us all to have to put supplies on the ground, hold answer sheets/tests on our thighs and switch them to the desk, the test itself (almost the size of a newspaper opened up) was hanging over both sides of the desk, everyone had supplies/tests dropping and rolling and we had to chase them down. i took the second test at a different university that had large table-desks.

Everything about my life was geared towards the LSAT during this time. Exercise + diet, napping to retain info and regain energy before waking back up to go at it again, playing JY's videos with the sound turned up while cooking/going to sleep for passive retention. I've pushed myself for physical endeavors at that level before but never for a mental task.

Most of the advice you will get on 7sage will be from folks who prefer moderation and balance, which I admit is best for the vast majority of people, but if you want my blueprint then send me a PM. I wasn't able to benefit from someone else's experience when I started that journey and I would have done some things differently if I could do it over again. I don't mind sharing what I did and my advice about how to do it better than I did.

Edit: i see you are one of the rich people with ultimate+! perhaps you won't need the LSAT books that i used... i've been broke as hell for a long time now haha but i managed to get it done with the basic course!

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Start doing daily timed sections ASAP. As you're learning the functional logic see how it applies to the questions.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

Not to be discouraging, but going from a 150 to a 170 in three months means you'll have to go from getting 53-54 questions right to getting 86 right... which takes A LOT of study time. I'm definitely not saying it's impossible to hit 170, but I know that I would personally never be able to do it. I study for the LSAT 30+ hours a week, and I've gone from 155 to 163 in two months. Maybe you're a way faster leaner than I am, and you can go up more than that in your first two months. But if you're set on that 170 score, it's probably best to delay your test date.