Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ethnicity question

AlexRexegerAlexRexeger Alum Member

So slightly ridiculous question, but I’m basically half Eastern European and half Filipino. I’ve always been confused on whether I should be describing myself as Caucasian and Pacific Islander or if I should indicate I’m Caucasian and Asian. And any chance either one helps with admissions? I’m assuming not, but wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think there are arguments both ways for Filipinos. I think in my mind, I've always thought of it more as Pacific Islander, but obviously it's very near Asia as well. I did a quick google to see if I was off, and I see lots of convos arguing for both. Neither one should give you much of a leg up with admissions, but Pacific Islander maybe slightly more. Neither have the typical URM bump, so it shouldn't be a huge factor. I'd say whichever you personally feel more comfortable or identify more with.

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    edited July 2018 231 karma

I agree with @"Leah M B" , go with whichever you identify the most with.

That being said, while technically the Philippines are in the Pacific, lots of my friends are Filipino/part Filipino, and they consider themselves to be Asian generally (Southeast Asian). I'm no expert, but being from Hawaii, I think Pacific Islanders generally categorizes/means Polynesians, people who originated from within the Polynesian triangle (e.g., Samoa, Tonga, native Hawaiian, New Zealand, Easter Island, etc.). I'm half Japanese, and Japan is technically Pacific islands, but I definitely wouldn't consider myself a Pacific Islander. Of course, Japan's situation is very different from the Philippines but I digress...

It's a complicated issue and it's tough that we (especially halfies/mixed race folks) have to sometimes "choose" one ethnicity/race over the other when there isn't an option to indicate "two or more." I remember when I was applying for my undergrad, the SAT or CommonApp or something only let us choose one race and I had a mini crisis about my identity, since I identify strongly as mixed race/both! The LSAT at least lets us choose multiple, which is nice.

Anyway sorry for rambling, good luck choosing!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2531 karma

Generally speaking, the purpose of your softs is to demonstrate that you are unique. That, within the applicant pool, you have something that no one else has. If your ethnic background has given you a unique experience, relationship, or perspective, don’t be afraid to write a diversity statement about it. It’s not always the “URM” that’s important as much as the unique experience and perspective that URM’s bring to a class. Obviously diversity matters for other than practical reasons too, because the diversity of a school is often reflected only by percentages. But this doesn’t mean that color is all they care about.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

There is also no reason why you would need to check one box over the other. You can check both if you would like. You could even check other and elaborate there. Also, you should consider writing a diversity statement on your origin. While it won't be a URM bump per se, it would certainly add the diversity that schools are looking for.

• AlexRexegerAlexRexeger Alum Member
    178 karma

Interesting idea. I hadn’t really thought much about what to write for my personal statement yet so I’ll definitely take that into consideration!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@AlexRexeger said:
    Interesting idea. I hadn’t really thought much about what to write for my personal statement yet so I’ll definitely take that into consideration!

Maybe not your personal statement; there may be something way more personal and compelling. But certainly a diversity statement.