Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removal of the LSAT requirement

stubbsbernard6stubbsbernard6 Free Trial Member

Do you guys think they will remove the LSAT as an admissions requirement? I've ran into a couple of articles about the ABA removing it as a requirement for the law school admissions process, leaving it up to the schools to decide if they want to use it.

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I seriously doubt it, other than for some of the schools who will accept the GRE. As of now, the ABA requires that each school has to have a standardized ("valid and reliable") evaluation of each applicant. I don't think this will change any time soon.

• stubbsbernard6stubbsbernard6 Free Trial Member
    26 karma

I hope not, because I've been busting my chops prepping for this exam, and I have only a year left of undergrad.

26 karma

I was even thinking of prepping for the GRE as well just to be cautious of any drastic change between now and then.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited July 2018 1804 karma

I would think that, strictly speaking, the ABA's decision to let law schools decide what exam they would like to use in their admissions process effectively means that the LSAT is no longer a requirement for law school admission as a whole. If the LSAT were still a requirement, the ABA would have took a firm stance - as it damn well should have, instead of chickening out - and said something like, "Screw the GRE, we have the LSAT!" and the LSAT would be enjoying monopoly on law school admission process. Reality seems otherwise.

Is the LSAT a preferred option? Yes... at least for now. Is it a requirement? I would think not.

• willrpaytonwillrpayton Member
    33 karma

In Australia very few schools require it, but the amount of schools considering it is only increasing, not decreasing.

26 karma

I'm worried to death man. Like i said, I've been putting in massive prep work with the LSAT and I've developed an outstanding skill set with the exam on my own without any outside help. It would all go in vain if schools turn a blind eye to the exam.

26 karma

Even if they just end up taking only the GRE, I can live with that. But to remove the standardized exam requirement from law school admissions period would be too much for me.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

I doubt the schools worth attending will do that. Maybe the others.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

They may remove the requirement but it may still be preferred nonetheless.

26 karma

Thanks for your replies and valuable insights, everyone!