Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parallel Flaw

shegotitshegotit Member

For parallel flaw questions, how do we go about finding the correct answer choice? Are we looking for invalid arguments? Are we looking for answers that are opposite from the stimulus. Can someone clarify how I should go about finding the correct answer choice?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited July 2018 8392 karma

The best way to go about it is to make sure you are really analyzing the stimulus thoroughly and know what the flaw is. Then, you have to analyze each of the answer choices for flaws. Once you spot a flaw, you have to make sure to check that it's the same flaw as in the stimulus.

So these are the 3 categories the answer choices will fall into:
    1) Not flawed (wrong!)
    2) Flawed but a different type of flaw from the stimulus (wrong!)
    3) Same flaw as stimulus (bingo!)

So, you more or less need to analyze each of the answer choices the same way you would any regular flaw question. You need to read each, identify the flaw (if there is one), and look for the answer choice with the same flaw as the stimulus.

Let's say the stimulus is a flaw of too small of a sample size. The answer choices may look like this:

A) Not flawed
    B ) Confusing necessary and sufficient
    C) Too small of sample size
    D) Not flawed
    E) Ad hominem attack

So in this scenario, C would be correct. Parallel flaw is looking for the same flaw as in the stimulus, which in this case was too small of a sample size.

Hope that helps!

• shegotitshegotit Member
    edited July 2018 211 karma

Yes that helps I think I was trying to do more of a pattern with the stimulus and answer choice and had no luck and then diagramming wasn't working all the time for me. Another thing that I have a problem with is the fact that the answer choices all seem very similar