Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for any and all time saving tips

Victoria.Victoria. Member
in General 553 karma

A little background: I am consistently scoring in the low 160s on full pts but consistently scoring 175+ (usually 178) during BR. Time kills me, and I know a lot of it is anxiety which results in brain fog because I can correctly answer questions/complete sections in an okay amount of time during BR.

I just wanted to put a request out for any tips/tools you utilize on any and all sections to save you time. For example, I just saw a suggestion that @keets993 gave on a different post to first do questions during a game that gives you extra premises (which I am definitely going to start implementing to save time since other questions can be answered by subgameboards you create during the extra premises questions).

Just looking for quick tips as opposed to personalized advice i.e. suggestions to work on fundamentals or fool proofing (this is always important and appreciated, but I think everyone should already be doing these things before/while relying on quick tips)

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

If your BR is 178, I don't think anyone is going to suggest fundamentals :joy: Although, just to be sure, does that include over-confidence errors or exclude them?

What's your section breakdown? Quick tips....I guess depending on what works for you, RC notation? I personally, focus on low-res summaries and don't employ any intricate notation strategies but I do circle or underline things like topic sentences or if I see any word choice that indicates author's opinion. I think notation strategies are tricky, for me personally, because any time I try to guess what the writers will ask me about, I get more focused on the leaves instead of the forest.

I have a similar issue with a gap b/w BR and actual, and so far what's really helped is filming myself. So I can see where I'm messing up on time and also confident drills. If you're BR-ing in the 170s then you clearly know your material, you just have to get better at doing at timed. Do confident drills where you just go with your gut instead of trying to reason to yourself why specific answer choices are wong.

Also, we're just going to have to get better used to timing. Do timed drills, one where you just have a timer running (not set to 35) and see how long it takes you to get comfortably get through a section. Also do more timed sections of 35 minutes, perhaps instead of doing a full time test, you can do a timed section per day and BR it and see if that makes an impact on your score. I know that I sometimes start panicking during the test because if one section doesn't go well it feels like it can ruin your entire score.

For LR...diagram or make sure you're notating. Whether it's marking up referential phrasing, identifying conclusion, premise, find out what works for you. I usually write beside my stimulus 'whole vs part' or something if I identify a flaw/gap in the argument and want to remind myself. Other quick strategies could include...depending on where you want to score, chose like 5 LR questions you're just not even going to attempt. Whether it's a specific question type (NA) or just ones where you read the stimulus and go "nope" and then double-circle the question so you know not to attempt them. Instead, focusing on accuracy and getting 100% of those you attempt.

Hope those help!

6050 karma

Also, be sure you're reading the rules about 4 times. Once, just in general. Second, to diagram. Third, to double-check. Fourth, to do the "acceptable situation" question. Sometimes, I leave the acceptable situation for last because I notice something while I'm doing the questions (and because I have a better handle on the rules).

6050 karma

Last one :joy: but someone from the study group suggested this, where you follow each word using your pencil. That makes you focus more and less likely to misread words. Of course also be sure to circle key words in question stem like 'agree', 'strengthen' etc. Sometimes I write 'NA' beside a qstem as a reminder to myself.

• lchaath1lchaath1 Alum Member
    37 karma

I was just going to post something similar. I am wondering if anyone has advice on skipping questions too. I am always too stubborn and want to answer before moving on, and I know it is hurting my score.