Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stupid mistakes

Claire Z.Claire Z. Alum Member

Anyone else making stupid mistakes?

I just did a logic games section and got them all right except an acceptable situation question (sigh) because for some reason I read "glass" in the rules but looked for "wood."

One instructor said, "Don't just say it's a stupid mistake and you won't make it on test day. You absolutely will make it on test day if you don't have a system."

But what system can I develop for not being an idiot? Glass is not wood, I've been telling myself helpfully.

Comments

• dave.williamson88dave.williamson88 Alum Member
    35 karma

Most of the questions that I get wrong are because I misread one word or some other stupid oversight. I've also been trying to come up with a way to avoid that, but can't come up with anything other than read the rules or things you don't understand twice.

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

I have done this multiple times on LG, sometimes the most singular and stupid mistake had caused me to miss several questions from the singular game ! I started taking 10-15 seconds per game to make sure I translated my rules correctly after writing the translations and since then I have not make another error in that fashion ! I actually credit that to going from around -6ish in games to -3ish consistently. Hope that helps !

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

But what system can I develop for not being an idiot?

You can try circling/underline key terms in the question. That helps reinforce what you're actually supposed to be looking for. Slowing down is helpful too.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited September 2018 454 karma

@NotMyName said:

But what system can I develop for not being an idiot?

You can try circling/underline key terms in the question. That helps reinforce what you're actually supposed to be looking for. Slowing down is helpful too.

This. You should read the same way to speak when giving a presentation, emphasize slow down on the important words.

Circle the key phrases, underline stuff, use brackets to separate key info. If you find yourself "reading outloud" in your head or under your breath, emphasize the important parts by "saying them" in your head or under your breath with emphasis.

Oftentimes an entire sentence can be paraphrased down to three words on LG. Wood Before Clay. Clay not 5. etc. Visually emphasize these words and repeat them to yourself in your head to make the understanding an active process

Go slower if you have the time too!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I like to write down the symbols for whatever the question asks you. i.e. if it says what are the possible combinations of the vases in the shop if the third vase is made of glass...
    Then I would write down G3 next to the question. And then if necessary also re-write all of the game pieces and cross out G or re-draw the gameboard/rules with G removed.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

Slow down when translating your rules. You want to be confident and accurate. I make mistakes like that ALL the time. I'll read "Jack" and write "L" instead of "J". Why? No idea.

• Claire Z.Claire Z. Alum Member
    116 karma

Thanks for these suggestions. They are really good. Samantha, I do that writing "L" for "Jack" too. I have no idea why. I missed five LG questions today all for mistakes like that. I guess I'm nervous for Saturday.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I would try circling the first letter in the answer choices or try translating the English to it's basic like g in 1 or when it's sequencing s-w, just as JY does in his explanation videos.