Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Law Schools & Requesting LORs

Is it necessary to have a final list of law schools before requesting an academic letter of recommendation? Or can the request be sent while in the process of creating/finalizing the list?

What are your thoughts on modifying the list after requesting a letter?

Please let me know the pros and cons for the above and where you got the advice. I haven't been able to find anything on the topic so far.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

When you enter in a recommender into the CAS it will ask you the type of letter that they will be writing. You can just put "for all law schools". So it really doesn't matter which ones you want to apply to, they can just write a general letter and it will be fine.

• camelia0102camelia0102 Alum Member
    17 karma

I've been corresponding with my references, and one of them wanted to know the specific schools before whereas the other didn't care. I have been updating them when finding out what each school requires though, and staying in touch and up to date that way. (I'm only applying to Canadian schools by the way if that helps).

• vrendonvasquezvrendonvasquez Alum Member
    276 karma

@camelia0102 and @Ohnoeshalpme , Thank you for your input! :) On your letter of recommendation request, did you specify the academic highlights and positive themes you wanted your recommender to convey to your law schools?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited September 2018 2531 karma

It depends. LOR requests are determined by your level of familiarity with the professor. If you had their class more than once and worked as a TA, you can just ask them to write you a strong letter and they won' question it. If you barely knew them, point to a specific topic that they would be well positioned to write about. For example, an english teacher might have something to say about your writing ability that other professors wouldn't know about. In this case, ask them if they could write a letter that focuses on your strong writing skills.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

None of the people I asked for LORs asked me to send them a list of schools I am applying to

• camelia0102camelia0102 Alum Member
    17 karma

I gave them a copy of my personal statement, and they said they would go along with that; otherwise not really!