Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Proctor Behavior Change - 7Sage Forum

Proctor Behavior Change

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
edited September 2018 in General 1694 karma

So I saw a post about how another 7sage student got raked over the coals, for having two watches, by the proctors, when there are no rules not allowing it, and even after calling LSAC to confirm that it was allowed. I expressed my sympathies and thought about my own experience, and thought that my experience is probably something I should tell everyone.

I almost had a similar experience with my juicebox, but luckily for me, and unluckily for the other guy, the guy sitting in front of my had the exact same juicebox and took the blow for me and was called out in section 3 by a proctor. We all knew it was perfectly within the rules to have a juicebox, and I've had the same juicebox twice in previous LSATs already. The rule for having a transparent bottle only applies to water bottles. The proctor then came back a few minutes later to give it back to him, without any remorse. Another thing was that I got a warning for looking around while copying the pledge at the very start of the test.

I realized this September LSAT, a lot of proctors were quite on edge. I talked to them afterwards, and found out a lot of proctors secretly got audited this past summer (they didn't tell me how or give me any details), and received a lot of punishments for being too lenient on test takers, so they're essentially overcompensating, and conservatively punishing anything that may even have a semblance of breaking the rules.

Thought this might be helpful for future test takers to expect the worst. I wish you all the best.

Comments

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

Just to throw this out there, my proctor was literally using her cell phone (not even on silent ! you could hear each letter she was typing) and eating granola bars throughout the test. Not to mention she and the other proctor left on several occasions during the test, creating very loud noise coming in and out. A girl that was directly in front of her was livid during the break. Our proctor also read out all instructions as quickly as possible, fast enough to where I couldn't even audibly hear the words. It was quite ridiculous. At the end of each section we may have had 2-3 seconds max until her completion of the prompt to begin the next section. I say this to come to the conclusion that every proctor is different. Some will be great and some need to find a rock to live under.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I had essentially applesauce taken away from me last year. It was like a Capri sun type package but a squeeze tube of fruit. And a Mio energy water enhancer. I think also first time proctors can be way strict bc they don’t know what they’re doing.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@gkoebel1 said:
    Just to throw this out there, my proctor was literally using her cell phone (not even on silent ! you could hear each letter she was typing) and eating granola bars throughout the test. Not to mention she and the other proctor left on several occasions during the test, creating very loud noise coming in and out. A girl that was directly in front of her was livid during the break. Our proctor also read out all instructions as quickly as possible, fast enough to where I couldn't even audibly hear the words. It was quite ridiculous. At the end of each section we may have had 2-3 seconds max until her completion of the prompt to begin the next section. I say this to come to the conclusion that every proctor is different. Some will be great and some need to find a rock to live under.

Oh god. Someone needs to be audited.

@"surfy surf" said:
    I had essentially applesauce taken away from me last year. It was like a Capri sun type package but a squeeze tube of fruit. And a Mio energy water enhancer. I think also first time proctors can be way strict bc they don’t know what they’re doing.

Yeah. For people who are having really bad ones. Maybe consider changing locations. Proctors tend not to change very often.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Just the worst. The thing is, lenient or strict, all we really want is consistency. That's what drives me nuts. I wish LSAC could find a way for the proctors to be consistent. And also make their rules clearer on things, so there's less debate about what it means. I've been lucky to have really good, balanced proctors both times I've taken it. But man... there are some horror stories out there.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@"Leah M B"
    Good to hear. Yeah, I wish they wouldn't make it harder for test takers than it already is, by being inconsistent. Hmmmm... anecdotally, I think bigger cities tend to have better and more experienced proctors.