Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Character and Fitness Question on an Application - 7Sage Forum

Character and Fitness Question on an Application

devinstelterdevinstelter Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 149 karma

The following is the wording of a question on the Character and Fitness portion of the application for the S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah:

"Have you ever been disciplined in connection with any misconduct matter related to any educational, personal, professional, military, business, or employment behavior or activity? Being disciplined includes, but is not limited to, being sanctioned, placed on probation, suspended, dismissed, resigning in lieu of termination, surrendering a professional license, or having a civil judgment obtained against you."

Beings the wording of this question states "any misconduct matter related to ANY educational ... behavior or action," would that include disciplinary action in high school? There is a seperate question that specifically asks this type of behavior at post-secondary institutions, as well.

I am concerned because I was suspended for two days in my Senior year of high school for making a sexually suggestive joke toward a teacher. While I don't think it will keep me from being admitted if I disclose, any behavior related to misconduct of a sexual nature can be very detrimental to your show of good character. So does anyone think I should answer "Yes" to this question based on high school disciplinary action?

Thanks for the insight!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2018 3256 karma

Yes, you should disclose it. It may not seem like a big deal, but it’s better to disclose and be on the safe side. I’d also be careful regarding the way you talk about the incident in question- sexual misconduct is really serious and hurts your character regardless of the political climate, even though now people are perhaps being held more accountable. You say that it won’t affect whether law schools want you, and the way you worded your post makes it sound like you don’t think it’s a big deal, but I can’t imagine a law school not caring if a student doesn’t think it’s a big deal to sexually harass a professor. I could totally be misreading your post, and if so, I apologize.

• devinstelterdevinstelter Alum Member
    149 karma

Thanks for the response! I apologize if I worded the statement poorly, and in no way would I not take full responsibility for my actions in an addendum, it was a stupid mistake on my part. I am just concerned becasue I already have to write a C&F addendum for another issue I had in the past. As worried as I am, erring on the side of disclosure seems like the way to go at this point.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

I would definitely disclose that. Hiding sexual harassment to a teacher could be a huge issue in the future. I think minor things like getting detention for being late to class in high school don’t need to be disclosed but your situation sounds serious. Make sure to take accountability and refer to the phrasing of what your actual punishment was as I doubt you were officially suspended for making a “joke.” I know that “sexually suggestive jokes” in the workplace are considered “sexual harassment,” and that has nothing to do with the “political climate.” It is a big deal and it will reflect poorly on you unless you show a fathom of remorse and that you’ve changed as a person. Regardless of the “political climate,” it is not appropriate to be making sexual remarks toward women in school, in the workplace, on the street, in public, literally anywhere.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited September 2018 8392 karma

I would probably call the admissions office and ask if that question includes high school. They would be able to let you know.

149 karma

I apologize for using the term “political climate,” it is irresponsible of me to blame society for my innapropriate actions. I was just frustrated at the varying broadness of C & F questions. I have edited my original post.

As for contacting the law school, would it look suspicious if I asked and then didn’t actually have to disclose it? Would they wonder, “why is he asking if he doesn’t have something to disclose?”

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I would call the LSAC. No need to jeopardize your chances of admissions unless you have to. Idk how long ago you graduated high school, but it probably won't matter too much.

149 karma

The incident was 5 years ago. Personally, I feel if I write an addendum explaining the situation and how I have grown since then, also beings there is no pattern of this behavior, it won’t bar me from being admitted. I’m more worried about how this could affect scholarships, since I am very debt averse.