Admissions Webinar + Editing Giveaway! Thursday, Sep 20 @ 9 p.m. ET

2»

Comments

• TrinkSchokoTrinkSchoko Free Trial Member
    69 karma

If you know that your LSAT score doesn't reflect your full ability and are able to retake, never hesitate to do so! I just took my third LSAT this September and now consider it a great decision -- regardless of the score I'm in a better shape to apply for schools without regrets and concerns dragging me behind.

Also, turn on that Candidate Referral Service on LSAC to receive fee waivers and save $$$! Though I hope it's just me who find it out belatedly haha.

• Dandegi1212Dandegi1212 Alum Member
    33 karma

Thank you for holding the webinar today! I haven't applied myself yet so I do not own a very good advice.... but if you are still in school, put all your efforts to get your GPA to where you would like it to be (I wish I did) :wink: Good luck everyone!

• MAMagzjdMAMagzjd Alum Member
    21 karma

Find a personal statement that can help the admissions see how your background would be a good addition to their school/community. Good luck to all.

• devinstelterdevinstelter Alum Member
    149 karma

My piece of advice would be to make sure your personal statement is centered around YOU. Admissions officers want to be introduced to you in a way that isn't purely quantitative. Make sure you are using an active first person voice and don't place an emphasis on drama or bold poetic statements.

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

Just got off the webinar, thanks David!

For a piece of advice for anyone else who has a sub-par GPA, but has an upward trend, slay the LSAT! Write an addendum on why there is an upward trend in your GPA and really own up to it! Don't hide your weaknesses.

I thought my low GPA was going to cost me my entire life, but life certainly goes on and I've tried to own up to my immaturity by working my ass off in other areas to strengthen my application.

Good luck November re-takers!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited September 2018 7286 karma

Thanks for bearing with me through those technical difficulties, everyone! I wanted to give you my own piece of advice: work efficiently, but don't rush. If you spend weeks or months on your application, you don't want to ruin it by making a silly preventable mistake at the very end. Take an extra day to proofread and double check all the application requirements!

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

After listening to David's informative presentation while in the library (yes at now 10:10pm.. very exhausted) I feel a bit more prepared. I would like to share what I learned in the webinar that is not only relevant in my situation, but that I'm also sure applies to some other people. My undergraduate GPA is not the best it could be and I do have a semester or two where there was some sort of improvement, with an unfortunate plummet near the end for specific reasons. There were a couple students who asked this question and I really thought it was important, especially for the admission process, since numbers are pretty indicative of your chances at a university. David recommends writing a GPA addendum by explaining what happened, why it increased by using specific numbers or referencing to the semesters of improvement, and why this will not happen again in law school. I wish everyone the best of luck! Remember - you are not alone, we are all in this together and I hope I helped someone today feel a bit relieved! You can totally do this.

• Sophia Kim-1Sophia Kim-1 Alum Member
    8 karma

For a while, I was feeling really anxious and nervous because I thought I didn't have enough time left to study for the LSAT, but my brother gave me some advice that completely changed my point of view/outlook. He said you have a limited amount of time left before the test and you can't change that fact. Therefore, any time you spend worrying about your "if this" or "if that" would just be wasted time. Rather, you should use that time to tackle another question on the LSAT. When he pointed that out to me I suddenly realized, I was wasting my time just worrying - worrying is not going to change anything, BUT tackling another problem can make a world of difference. So don't falter and keep at it! Hope this helps at least one lost soul, like it did for me!

• akrieglerakriegler Alum Member
    245 karma

Thank you so much for the webinar, it was extremely helpful! I think the biggest takeaway was not to rush the application process because a higher LSAT score is more beneficial than applying early with a less than stellar score.

Also, I really appreciate the help with my question regarding GPA trends! I was unsure of whether or not to write a GPA addendum, but now I know that I should absolutely include one. If you are going to write a GPA addendum be sure to incorporate the reason(s)/factual information (they don't want overemphasis or dramatic explanations) for the changes in GPA and reference the actual numbers in the addendum.

I would appreciate any input on a follow up to my original question:
    Should someone with an upward trend (say 2.75 to 3.95) consider applying to schools where they are below the median GPA (say cumulative is 3.29) in hopes that the trend makes a difference in the admissions officer's choice or is it better to only apply to schools where the cumulative GPA is near the median or above? Thanks!

• Zoe ReneeZoe Renee Alum Member
    1 karma

Don't let imposter syndrome beat you. We all feel up against each other and like we're just "faking it" sometimes -- don't let it shake your confidence. The fact that you're looking at this website already means you're doing great! Breathe, be brave in asking for help, and get yourself some ice cream when you get your acceptance.

• Dary_019Dary_019 Member
    14 karma

Thanks for the useful info, David! Some advice from the webinar - if you’re applying to a Canadian school, your personal statement should be more like a cover letter and not follow the narrative style that the U.S. schools look for.

• Ting RuanTing Ruan Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Hard work will always pay off. Keep studying hard for LSAT!!!

• edited September 2018 534 karma

Loved the webinar. I think my biggest advice for my fellow applicants is to RELAX. The essays are about you and your life. There is something about you that is special and worthy and you just have to figure out how to get it down on paper. Studying for the LSAT is stressful as Sugar Honey Iced Tea (southerns get it haha) and this should be a significantly more relaxing, self-reflecting, and overall enjoyable experience than Logic Games and Reading Comp :smiley:

p.s. We've all experience sucky WiFi so we felt your pain for sure

• Jamie Lynn BJamie Lynn B Alum Member
    69 karma

Focus on your LSAT. It's all about that score, even if it means waiting to apply later in the admissions cycle or the next cycle. Give it your all and let the rest of your application components follow.

• gleppanengleppanen Alum Member
    29 karma

The Law School Predictor is a great tool, but it's not great for your mental health to check it obsessively every day...apply where you want and see what happens.

• Alice003Alice003 Live Member
    691 karma

Thank you so much for giving us the webinar. This was my first time to attend your webinar. It was very helpful. It was a great presentation! Please do not worry about the technical difficulties. Thank you for your advice too!

• momoney6801momoney6801 Alum Member
    33 karma

One useful piece of takeaway was that personal statements should tell a good story. It does not have to explicitly be about why law.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma

@"moataz.s.mohamed" We’ve randomly selected you as the winner! Congrats. Please email editors@7sage.com with the subject line “Admissions Webinar Edit Giveaway Winner” to claim your free Edit Once!

@akriegler I think there’s no reason not to apply to reach schools—just make sure you’re also applying to some safeties and targets. Good luck!

• Danielle CDanielle C Member
    32 karma

I found the webinar to be more helpful than I had expected. I have sat in on one from a different group...not an LSAT company but an admissions help company...but this one was soooo much more useful. Being able to see how your chances increase and decrease based on when you apply was incredible helpful. Thank you so much for putting the tools together and sharing them FOR FREE!!! I cannot believe you don’t charge for some of the amazing tools you provide...shows how your motivation is to help students and not take advantage of their need to put the best foot forward. You guys (and ladies) are all WONDERFUL!!!