Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Student political activity in resume?

nadezhdanadezhda Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 7 karma

Hi all! I'm wondering whether (& to what degree) student activism belongs on a law school resume. It was one of my main extracurriculars and leadership roles, but I'm not sure how much to say if it involves a branch of an explicitly left national student organization, or organizing around raising university service workers' wages and unionization struggles (things that law schools probably aren't so keen on either?)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Honestly, most academia seems pretty left leaning. There are exceptions of course, but in general I don't think it necessarily looks bad to law schools.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

You should certainly mention this. Leftist activism would look great on a resume. You could prob write a personal or diversity statement on that if you don’t think you would be able to formally describe it on your resume. Not really sure why any law school would want to see right wing crap like protesting a planned parenthood on a resume.

Also just wanna say keep up the good work you sound like a wonderful human!!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It shows you’re passionate about something and have been advocating for people. Not sure why you’d think law schools wouldn’t want to see it. Many people with law degrees go on to careers in politics. It’s very relevant and I think it’s great for your resume.

• nadezhdanadezhda Alum Member
    7 karma

Thanks for all the reassurance ! Guess I was feeling hesitant because I don't want to come off as super anti univerisity administration when dealing directly with law school admin. What you all said makes sense though & that's definitely how I should talk about it.