Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC Announces Digital LSAT Launch Schedule

2»

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Chipster Study" said:
    Hate to be a killjoy, but after having taken dozens of professional exams in testing centers, it can be bothersome in terms of the testing conditions. You can be right next to someone taking an insurance exam or the exam for firefighters. People get up and leave in the middle and the proctors at the centers can be troublesome. I once had the cleaning people come in with the vacuums to clean the rugs halfway through. Not a fan.

I don’t think LSAT will be like that. LSAT will be offered by LSAC, and you won’t be testing next to someone who’s taking a completely different test.

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

when can we sign up for july exam

• itsemmarobynitsemmarobyn Member
    272 karma

I like the near instant score release function. Any idea exactly how long it will take for scores to be released on the new system?

In terms of practice tests though, will we be able to complete them using the new digital format (maybe through an app??) or only pen and paper?

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@akistotle said:

@"Chipster Study" said:
    Hate to be a killjoy, but after having taken dozens of professional exams in testing centers, it can be bothersome in terms of the testing conditions. You can be right next to someone taking an insurance exam or the exam for firefighters. People get up and leave in the middle and the proctors at the centers can be troublesome. I once had the cleaning people come in with the vacuums to clean the rugs halfway through. Not a fan.

I don’t think LSAT will be like that. LSAT will be offered by LSAC, and you won’t be testing next to someone who’s taking a completely different test.

I thought it would be offered at Prometric centers. I guess not then?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@tekken1225 said:

@akistotle said:

@"Chipster Study" said:

I think everything’s going to be the same as now, but just switched to tablets instead of paper.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2018 9377 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@tekken1225 said:

@akistotle said:

@"Chipster Study" said:

I think everything’s going to be the same as now, but just switched to tablets instead of paper.

I agree with @"Leah M B". It's just switched to tablets.

Prometric is a subsidiary of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which owns GRE. Unless LSAC announces that it has partnered with Prometric or Pearson VUE or any other test provider, I think it won't happen.

If LSAT were to be offered by other test providers, I think it would be offered almost everyday and PrepTests wouldn't be released (GRE doesn't release PrepTests and heavily recycles questions).

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited October 2018 609 karma

i hope they release a demo at least of how to it will play out, using say the june 2007 test. So people can practice this new way.

updated:

"Additional practice materials for use specifically on tablets are also forthcoming." (https://www.lsac.org/about/news/lsac-announces-digital-lsat-launch-schedule)

Please 7sage help us develop strategies in this new era! I postponed my take for after i finish school in 2019 and this changeover runs right in line with the dates i was going to take (Nov 2019/Jan 2020). I do think this will be an easier time (removing the bubbling in), but the Logic Games section is what i would most be interested in seeing how it operates, and as long as it it similar to having us have the same freedoms to find the answers i would be ok. all in all simply clicking a button rather than bubbling saves 3 minutes.

also i guess if im prepping now i don't bubble anymore i should just circle my answer and move on.

• pgrahamcpapgrahamcpa Alum Member
    10 karma

I am not a bigfan of paper and love the digital world. (DropBox, DocuSign, PDF, etc.) I can move and think faster. I do not mind scrap paper for calculating, or organizing my thoughts (Logic Games) but when I am finished, in the garbage it goes.**** Big Fan for Digital LSAT.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Does anyone thing that there will be an unfair advantage for digital takers whose tests are being compared to those who took the paper test? Because bubbling takes less time on the digital one?

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Nooooo this blows!

Will 7Sage offer software that helps students adjust to the new interface during PTs?

help

• 37 karma

@Mike_Ross said:
    Nooooo this blows!

Will 7Sage offer software that helps students adjust to the new interface during PTs?

help

Yes!! I'm interested if 7Sage has any plans to try to mimic their practice tests in a digital way..!!! I

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

It will be interesting to see how LSAC decides to handle this in terms of maintaining its reputation of being a consistent test. It is known for being a test that, somehow, almost brilliantly, consistently conveys a test taker's true understanding of the test. A score drop in 2019 and thereafter could be indicative of the tech affecting LSAT taking performance. Will they take into consideration reading speed being slower on screens (or other limitations based on empirical data?). It is curious though, do people read faster on paper because that is how they were raised, possibly implying that new generations raised on screens might read just as fast on screens as they do on paper, if not faster? After all, those who were raised with screens are only going to become more and more of the norm. Too, will this be yet another hurdle for non-elitist students who cannot afford touch screens to study and do their best on the test?

It depends on how LSAC considers itself to be "consistent" I suppose. Is LSAC interested in consistently separating the very best from the rest? Or, are they interested in creating a test that delineates certain benchmarks that one can obtain through hard work (something many of us 7sagers are doing, including myself)?

Basically, rhetorically speaking, if someone earned a 180 two years ago, will that person be likely to earn relatively the same score on a screen assuming they have adequate experience/practice with the type of tech that would be used on test day? (For those who don't have the privilege of using the tech for practice, one would almost necessarily have to have incredible adapting skills)

• Jaclyn PoonJaclyn Poon Core Member
    10 karma

Just reading this is stressing me the hell out. I wish they have an option where we can choose to either take the test on paper or on the tablet. I have literally never used a tablet before in my life so I'm extremely worried that this will slow me down. On the FAQ it says, "The transition to the digital LSAT will begin in July 2019. For that test, half of the test-takers will be assigned to take the test on a tablet provided by LSAC, the other half will take the traditional paper-and-pencil test." I'm freaking out by just reading this. I feel like I'd purposely have to purchase a table JUST to practice for the digital exam. The worst part is that I'm not ready for the January 2019 and I am not confident enough to take the June 2019 exam.

I think a small part of me just died on the inside.

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

I feel the time limit shouldn’t be as tight for the digital exam. When I practice logic games from 7Sage question bank on the website with scratch paper, I almost always end up finishing a minute (sometimes two, depends on how many questions are there ) longer than I would have to just do it on the book because the eyes have to travel back and forth from the screen to paper. Plus there are studies say reading off from screen tends to compromise comprehension. Overall I think the current time limit is gonna be a problem.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

soon you will be able to take the exam from the comforts of your own home. ha ha

• Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    3075 karma

@JEtudiePourLSAT said:

@Mike_Ross said:
    Nooooo this blows!

help

Yes!! I'm interested if 7Sage has any plans to try to mimic their practice tests in a digital way..!!! I

@Mike_Ross @JEtudiePourLSAT We are waiting on LSAC to give us more information on what the digital tests are like, so we have no ETA yet. But yes, we are going to do our best to mimic the digital practice tests.

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

Will we be able to have some practice BEFORE the first digital July exam?

• MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
    123 karma

So so glad I'm taking June 2019

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

When's the last paper LSAT then?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I heard June 2019 is, as of now, the last all-paper test, while July is a random chance of getting paper or digital.