Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Northwestern On-Campus Interview Advice

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage

Anyone been through on of these? Mine is schedule for the end of this month. What is the dress code and what sort of questions did they ask? Any tips for preparation?

Any and all info much appreciated.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Not an expert--haven't been to this law school. That said, here's a few thoughts. Guessing business attire. Is this a campus visit? I'd maybe ask a friend to do a mock interview. Also, prepare about three questions that ask about things, as I've heard elsewhere, someone can't get from the website. Bring a couple business cards along with copies of your resume. Ask them the best way to communicate if you have questions later. Prepare a story about a significant life experience. If you've done volunteer work, it's probably good to mention this. Develop a friendly--I love this school but I like these other peer schools as well--way to outline your list of law schools because "where else are you applying" is a common question. And maybe @LSATcantwin has time to comment.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2018 9382 karma

This is from this thread titled "Tell Us About Your Interview" (2016/2017 cycle): https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/64571

@"abby.lu2017" said:
    For Northwestern:
    I scheduled their on-campus interview, and I had a current student (she's a 2L at Northwestern) interview me. The interview was 35 minutes long. They asked for my resume before the interview, and basically went through my resume with me during the interviews. Questions asked:
    1. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
    2. Why law school, and why law school now?
    3. Why Northwestern?
    4. Which one of your resume items demonstrate your leadership ability the best? What does leadership mean to you?
    5. Anything not on your resume that you would like us to know?
    6. What do you want to do with a law degree?
    7. Favorite class in undergrad?
    8. Hardest class in undergrad?

Curveball questions:
    1. What would you do if you didn't get into any law school this application cycle?
    2. What factors matter the most to you when you decide where to attend law school?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1694 karma

I hear it's pretty casual, and that the goal is to test your rapport with current students. So while it is good to be professional, your goal shouldn't be the answer every question in the most optimal way to tick off as many boxes on a criteria on possible, but rather to just enjoy yourself and try to get to know each other. This is just what I heard though, and I can't confirm it to be fact.