Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help

Hi everyone,

I’m curious to see how everyone’s progress went. I’ve been studying consistently for a little over a month now (started looking at the LR section in July and tried to find the best techniques and learning strategies for me), and I’m doing practice questions in LR specifically, and I’m usually getting about 50% of them correct. Should I be really concerned? How did everyone else improve on the LR section? I think that I’ll need to move my test date to January since I’m not even through the RC or Games curriculums yet. Thoughts? Any comments are appreciated!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27848 karma

Hey what's your target score? Testing after only a couple months will sound pretty hopeless to many 7Sagers who study for a year or more, but if your goals are relatively modest then you can make small improvements in small amount of time. So your cause for concern is highly relative. For testing in Nov, you should be highly concerned. You should definitely not test in Nov. For testing in Jan, you should be highly concerned if you're looking for anything more than about a five point increase. If you're preparing for your target score and testing when ready, there is no cause for concern. I raised my score a 140's level diagnostic to a 176. It took as long as it took. So for you, it really just depends on your timeline.

• lsat2019lsat2019 Member
    70 karma

I am aiming for a 160.

27848 karma

@lsat2018 said:
    I am aiming for a 160.

From a 159? A 140? What's the gap you're needing to close?

70 karma

I wrote it dry and scored a 120 but I’m hoping with the work I’ve been doing to understand the test and practice I’ll have improved. I want to try to write one as soon as I finish the Games and RC curriculum. I used other resources for LR but I come back to 7Sage if I’m really struggling with a question type.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

@lsat2018 said:
    I wrote it dry and scored a 120 but I’m hoping with the work I’ve been doing to understand the test and practice I’ll have improved. I want to try to write one as soon as I finish the Games and RC curriculum. I used other resources for LR but I come back to 7Sage if I’m really struggling with a question type.

I would say make sure to take your time to understand the course and the basics. That's going to help you get better. Take another PT once you are done with core curriculum, use the analytics to help you figure out what you priority should be before you take the next PT.

In any case, if you really want your goal score and you don't have an obligation that makes you take the test in January with a lower score, wait to register for the test till you are scoring at least 5 points within your goal score and do not sit for the test till your LSAT average (score of last 5 most recent PT's) is what you would like to see as your official score.

70 karma

That’s a good point and makes sense. I feel a bit rushed because I would like to start law school next Fall and need to write the test by June 2019 max. Of course my chances of getting in at that point will be slim since the deadline for applications are around that time.

27848 karma

Very few people make forty point improvements at all. I would venture to say that no one has ever and will never make a forty point improvement with only a few months of studying. Maybe that's a bold claim, but being among the small number of individuals who have accomplished it, I feel like I can say that. You're severely underestimating what you're doing. You need to think of this as on par with climbing Everest or something: That's how hard what you're trying to do is, and I actually don't think I'm exaggerating. I want to stress though that the problem is your timeline, not your goal. With industriousness and determination, I think it can be done. But you're also going to need patience.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

When you were writing this exam, were you focused or did you get distracted? I mention this because sometimes a person can read, then get distracted and not retain. Also, have you finished the CC? Sometimes people find it helpful to redo the CC if they maybe didn't get enough time with it before writing exams. Be brave and don't give up. And there are excellent instructors, student peers, and mentors on here.

edited October 2018 70 karma

It was about two years ago and I believe I ended up getting frustrated and guessed on many questions. It probably wasn’t a good indication of my dry score. I decided to not write another one dry since I had no prior knowledge or techniques to apply on the exam so I felt it was useless. I’ve heard a lot of people feeling that way too. I got about half way through LR and realized that I needed background info on it so I read three other resources before I started it again. I’m finding RC and Games in the CC more helpful. So to answer your question, no I have not completed CC yet. I have some background now on LR and I’m familiar with the LR question types and have some techniques for tackling them and I have yet to complete RC and Games from the CC before I attempt another PT. Thank you for your encouragement!