Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind review in Reading Comp.

rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member

Fellow 7sagers,

I've long thought that Blind Review was only really necessary for L.R. and not Reading since the questions are mostly based on content in the passage. For those who do, is it really beneficial to Blind Review Reading Comp? If so, how do y'all do it. (Re-read the passage, and then go through the questions, etc.)

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I re-read the passage and go through all the questions, which is different from my LR review where I only review circled questions. I think it is important to review everything on each test, including RC, so you can really get a sense of what you know and what you don't know. If you BR a RC passage and change your answer to the correct answer, you understood it on the second pass. If you changed it to the wrong answer, it's a case of (1) under-confidence, or (2) you missed both the original and the BR and you really didn't understand the question or the passage.

When I watch the video explanations for questions I didn't BR it is much more difficult to get a sense of what the issue was that led to me missing it.

• rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member
    160 karma

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

I just posted this today on another discussion so gonna copy and paste my br methodology for RC.

I generally go through each passage and make a low res and high res summary. Then, I try to pick a main point for each paragraph and how it connects to the rest of the passage. I see if there's anything that indicates the tone of the author and also try to anticipate what the next paragraph will be. While you've already read the passage, it's good to get into the habit of anticipating, so that it becomes more intuitive during timed conditions. I also ask myself questions constantly while I'm reading the passage. "Why is this theory outdated?" oh because of x. "Is this a bad thing?" this keeps you engaged in the process.

Then I go through the questions. For explicitly stated questions, I indicate which one I was most likely to choose and then actually go back to the passage and disprove the four wrong answers. I never allow myself to get an 'explicitly stated question' wrong in BR because there's no excuse for missing it untimed. The passage is right there for you to disprove the wrong answer choices. Every RC question is supported by the passage.

Majority of the time, the only time I get questions wrong in BR is if I've misunderstood a passage. I ask myself why this was, why did I miss the tone or purpose. Was it because the subject matter threw me for a loop? Was it an inference question that was just so subtle that I never would've gotten in a million years? If so, how can I make sure I don't make this kind of mistake with a different passage.

I also compare the questions I got wrong timed to how I did in BR and what I can do next time to increase my accuracy.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@keets993 said:
    I just posted this today on another discussion so gonna copy and paste my br methodology for RC.

I was just getting a sense of deja vu. Lol.

• rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member
    160 karma

@keets993 Thanks for the input!