Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How have people improved their Reading Comprehension score?

lsat_kp20lsat_kp20 Alum Member

I have tried the memory method, and it helps a little. My score for that section has been fairly the same. I am not entirely sure what I can do to improve it. Any tips?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The CC Reading Comp is a great path.

• josie.buchwaldjosie.buchwald Alum Member
    21 karma

I find that developing consistent markings for temporal quantifiers, opinions, people, and important concepts helped me a lot.

• lsat_kp20lsat_kp20 Alum Member
    148 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    The CC Reading Comp is a great path.

What is CC reading comp? I feel like i have read this before, and it was only part of the UltimatePlus?

148 karma

@"josie.buchwald" said:
    I find that developing consistent markings for temporal quantifiers, opinions, people, and important concepts helped me a lot.

Thank you! I will try that to see if it helps me.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

CC reading comp refers to the core curriculum lessons on reading comp.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

I did the CC reading comprehension as part of the whole shebang, and I also started reading Scientific American and The Economist. After I read a difficult passage that I don’t automatically retain, I go back and look at it and just try to summarize what each paragraph is doing or saying to myself before I get to the the questions. Knowing the types of questions they ask, and the types of passages you’re in for also helps; I always do hard sciences first, since it’s the most boring one. Someone somewhere said that you only have to be interested in it for 7-10 minutes of your life per passage, but in that time that passage should be the most interesting thing in your world, because internet helps you retain information more.

148 karma

@keets993 said:
    CC reading comp refers to the core curriculum lessons on reading comp.

ahh yes that would make sense! Thanks!

@cqas190517 said:
    I did the CC reading comprehension as part of the whole shebang, and I also started reading Scientific American and The Economist. After I read a difficult passage that I don’t automatically retain, I go back and look at it and just try to summarize what each paragraph is doing or saying to myself before I get to the the questions. Knowing the types of questions they ask, and the types of passages you’re in for also helps; I always do hard sciences first, since it’s the most boring one. Someone somewhere said that you only have to be interested in it for 7-10 minutes of your life per passage, but in that time that passage should be the most interesting thing in your world, because internet helps you retain information more.

hmm i see what you are saying. Let me try to do that myself! Has reading Scientific American and the Economist been really helpful?

• mds19193mds19193 Member
    53 karma

Read the economist! It helps!

• notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member
    267 karma

I slowed tf down. I was going -10 on average in reading comp when I first started and now I am consistently in the -4 range.

I used to rush to try to get through all the passages. I constantly checked my stopwatch to see how I was doing on time. I would also make a ton of markings and underlinings.

Now I don't look at the time. I take as much time on each passage as I need, and if I don't get to the fourth passage I still end up doing better than when I was rushing.

I try to understand each sentence and how it relates to the paragraph and how the paragraph relates to the rest of the passage. If I do not understand a sentence or how it relates to the rest of the paragraph I will go back and reread and try to comprehend instead of just passing over it. I have found that if I pass something over and don't understand it, it only gets worse and the confusion and misunderstanding only compounds as the passage goes on.

I also stopped marking all markings. Now the only time my pencil touches the page on reading comp is for a guide to keep my place in the passage. I MAKE ZERO MARKINGS. For me, the markings only made things more confusing. Now I just try to focus and remember what I am reading.

Hope this helps!

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

@cqas190517 said:

hmm i see what you are saying. Let me try to do that myself! Has reading Scientific American and the Economist been really helpful?

Yes, because its all boring stuff. If you want to really go next level, hit up the Journal of American Medicine Association (JAMA) and read some of the free, online content for maximum eye-glazing practice.