Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Academic Probation - 7Sage Forum

Academic Probation

Hello everyone,

I have been diligently working on my Law School Applications (I am a Canadian so I need them in before Nov. 1). And just realized that I did not explicitly state that I had been on academic probation in my first year of my undergraduate degree. Instead I wrote a addendum that explains my poor grades. Was this a detrimental mistake? Should I contact the law school and let them know? And finally, if I disclose it from here on out, will the mistake from not explicitly stating it to the first school haunt me? Note: It is on my transcripts.

Thank you!
Samantha

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I can only comment on the American system so if anyone with knowledge of the Canadian system sees this, please jump in.

You need to disclose this to any school which asks about academic censure in their C&F, which I believe is all schools.

I would drop everything and get to work writing your addendum for this probation and submit it to the school. The last thing you want is for them to find out for themselves that you were on probation and assume you were trying to hide it. They will see it on your transcript so the best thing you can do is take responsibility for it in an addendum.

• BethedreamBethedream Alum Member
    27 karma

Thank you! I will contact the law school and see if I can submit something ASAP. I appreciate your help!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Look at the application. Many will explicitly ask about academic probation. Also if you've already explained your poor grades, your academic probation addendum doesn't need to be long. My PS covered poor grades, so I limited my academic probation addendum to the facts (didn't explain what got me into it or out of it).

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I would think there might be a way to incorporate the probation into the addendum you already submitted, and ask the school if you could send them an updated addendum because you wanted to clarify something in it? Since it's more or less the same topic, I think you wouldn't necessarily need to expand much on it, just add a line in your original addendum specifying that you were on academic probation.

• BethedreamBethedream Alum Member
    27 karma

Thank you all for you help!