Neck pain - anybody else?

jcraigcanjcraigcan Alum Member
edited November 2018 in General 44 karma

I am having serious neck and upper back pain from studying for LSAT. I am studying 4-5 hours per day, and it is really affecting my performance.

Has anybody had this problem? If yes, what did you do ?

Comments

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

It’s probably from sitting in the same posture for a long time. You need to loosen up your muscles. Exercise and doing stretches will help. I had same problems before and the best way is to exercise.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    edited November 2018 432 karma

omg YES. So much back pain every day :'( I get it in my neck all the way down to my lower back. I'm studying anywhere between 4-7 hours a day. I had to pause my timer once during a preptest because I was in SO MUCH pain. What I've been doing that helps somewhat though is stretching every night and yoga. I did this one the other night and it helped :) Good luck!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

Yeah I also got vertigo and heart burn a couple weeks after the lsat which both can be caused by stress. Just make sure to maintain a work out regimen and stretch a lot and do yoga. I went from working out 5 days a week to working out maybe once during the week and then a couple times over the weekend and it messed up my body

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Consult a physician for exercises you can do to stretch and strengthen your cervical spine. And whenever possible, you want to avoid sitting for extended periods of time.

Heating pads and NSAID gels can also help treat the symptoms.

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

YES! This did happen to me! I got a deep tissue massage, which was helpful to get me back to baseline. If this isn't an option, a hot epsom salt bath and a heat pack may help plus a nice extended stretching session. I've also tried to be more conscious of my posture while studying and check in with myself every once in a while. Are my shoulders up to my ears? Is my chin jutting out towards the page? Have I been sitting with my legs crossed for too long? I asked my PT co-workers how to have better posture while studying, and they all basically said, "just do it." I was slightly annoyed b/c this isn't super helpful, but at the same time, they're right. Being more conscious of my posture while studying has helped a lot.

• lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
    207 karma

This happens to me, only when I'm taking a Timed Preptest. All of a sudden I am putting so much stress that my muscles tightens up. Stress has alot to do with it.

• rmt005rmt005 Alum Member
    6 karma

buying a textbook stand changed my life

• gemrich1gemrich1 Alum Member
    12 karma

Same exact scenario as you. Bengay, stretches, and getting a bit more sleep have helped me

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

I had this problem and it was my desk and chair.

I was positioned just a little too high up above the surface of the desk which forced me to bend forward/down just a bit more than was natural which put constant strain on the muscles holding my head up. Fine at first, but after a while began growing tired until something gave out in an enormous burst of pain, lol. I couldn't move my neck for a week.

After upgrading to a better table and chair, I never had an issue again.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Yep. I kept getting weird headaches when I was hard core studying lsat materials and books along with school. I went to a chiropractor who asked if I had been reading books a lot lately. Bingo. I went and saw him a few times, and it helped significantly. Lately, I have had to pick and choose one or the other, and the pain has gone away for the most part (except the pain that will be November testing. Ugh. GPA>LSAT right now, because I can't redo one of those). Get up periodically and do something else. That helps, too. Don't sit looking at a book for 5 hours straight every day.

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

I agree with @"Cant Get Right". Make sure the height between your desk and chair isn't making you hunch over more than you should (I have a longish torso and study in libraries so I always lower library desk chairs as low as possible and/or sit on higher desks).

• NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
    335 karma

I work out everyday and do these exercises ^ you will feel better but you have to be consistent :)

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

For test day, maybe take an Advil before the exam

• jcraigcanjcraigcan Alum Member
    44 karma

Thanks for all these responses guys. Some really good tips here. And glad I am not alone!

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    edited November 2018 426 karma

I also had this problem too! Noticed it started at the end of marathon study sessions. I try to take more frequent breaks now (and stretch/move around during them). Also, if I've been sitting for a while, I sometimes study standing up. I also realized I wasn't using the best pillow at night and swapped for a different one. Lastly, I always try to straighten out my posture when I realize I've hunched over for a long time (although I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle on that one). Hope this helps and your pain goes away!