Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

161 and 3.66 GPA for T14?

PrincessPrincess Alum Member
in General 821 karma

I was wanting to apply for Fall 2019, but I'm not sure what my chances will be at the T14. I did look at the predictor and was quite discouraged. I am hoping to score better on the LSAT on Saturday, but highly considering cancelling it. It's strange because I do get 170 as my BR score, but I am struggling to make it my real score. Any suggestions? Should I just try it and see what I get on this exam, or should I just wait another cycle? I am pretty set on Top 14 though, preferably Michigan or Northwestern.

Comments

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

I'm kind of in the same boat, considering withdrawing on Saturday because I haven't hit my goal score yet. I feel like your BR score is your true potential, and honestly, unless you're a URM your chances are slim for getting into a T-14 with those stats. I would wait, study more, get a better score, and apply at the beginning of next cycle.

• Balkar SinghBalkar Singh Member
    17 karma

Wait study more,
    With those stats you don't stand a chance at T14,
    and taking a test just to see where you land isnt going to help.
    169-170 with your GPA and you might even land a scholarship.
    I know a guy who did for $90,000 with Lsat -169. GPA - 3.66 at Michigan.
    Good luck.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Stay in the game and keep working. Also, maybe expand your school list.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2018 8700 karma

mylsn and 7Sage predictor are your best bets on chances. I personally would say to maximize chances try to raise your lsat at the very least 7 points. A 168/3.66 makes you a strong candidate for t-14/t-20.
    Your issue as I understand it is closing the gap between br and score. A full section breakdown of errors is a great place to start. Your going to want to target your studying to fix errors in your approach. There is a ton to say about this topic, starting with the fact that it takes time to properly execute.
    I would register for January.

Edit: additional advice

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Thank you every one for your help! @BinghamtonDave I noticed that you are a tutor and have just messaged you!

• danjamesdanjamesdanjamesdanjames Free Trial Member
    46 karma

Please go ahead and take it Saturday. If you have gotten a 170 in practice you can possibly get one on test day. Law schools take your highest score. If, however, you don't hit close to this when scores are released then you are indeed looking at your best decision being to wait another cycle.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

I got the 170 during BR, not during the PT itself. That's why I'm worried because I typically get 159-162 on normal PT, but will get 168-170 during BR.

@danjamesdanjames said:
    Please go ahead and take it Saturday. If you have gotten a 170 in practice you can possibly get one on test day. Law schools take your highest score. If, however, you don't hit close to this when scores are released then you are indeed looking at your best decision being to wait another cycle.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

Honestly if someone was considering applying to t14 with a 161 then they aren’t dead set on going to a t14. If you were dead set on it then you would know your PT average needs to be much higher and you shouldn’t just take the lsat on a whim.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed with the others. You need to wait to take the LSAT until you are consistently scoring on PTs at least in the upper 160s. With a 168+ you'll have a shot at T14. Low 160s won't get you there (unless you are a URM... then it might be a stretch but slightly possible). If you can crack 170, you should solidly have at least 1 T14 acceptance.

As sort of an aside, your BR score is only your theoretical maximum. Most people who score in the upper 160s to low 170s have a BR score in the upper 170s. You can always perform better untimed than timed. As you improve, you don't necessarily catch up to your BR score - your actual score and BR score will both improve. So in order to be scoring in the upper 160s, your BR score should be well into the 170s.

• danjamesdanjamesdanjamesdanjames Free Trial Member
    46 karma

@gurikaur said:
    I got the 170 during BR, not during the PT itself. That's why I'm worried because I typically get 159-162 on normal PT, but will get 168-170 during BR.

@danjamesdanjames said:

Ah, OK I retract my recommendation. Like others are saying you'll need about a 168+ to get into a T14. Put in your numbers to check out the odds on law school numbers and the LSAC as well.

I wouldn't waste too much time statsturbating though. Know what scores you need to achieve your goals then put your time into LSAT prep.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

That's a yikes from me, friend. Patience is a virtue, and study until you get a 168+. Then, perhaps it may be a yeet.
    Excuse my attempt to stay young and relevant.