Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got written up and kicked out by a proctor. Any advice?

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member

I finished the section but was still bubbling when the head proctor called time and was called out by one of them. I deserve what happened and will try again in January. I’m just going to put my head down and work hard so that I won’t be lacking those last few seconds next time. Any one here have experience with this and can share some insight?

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Sorry to hear this. Yeah i think that’s all you can do. Maybe you can practice timed 30 minute sections to increase your speed. I’ve tried it but not long enough.

Also does it reported to LSAC and show up when you apply? I had bad luck with proctors too. Had a proctor call time about 4 minutes early. Definitely hurt my logic games score.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I'm sorry to hear about this. With that being said you seem to be owning this mistake, which is good. The advice dispensed on portions of this thread might start to answer some of your questions:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/18117

David

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

This really sucks, I'm sorry Bamboo

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited November 2018 894 karma

Was it after the 5th section or one of the other sections? It's crazy how who you have as a proctor matters so much. I'm sorry but I'm sure it's happened before. Some proctors can really be major ball busters and others are so lackadaisical

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I don’t really think stopping cheating/blatant rule violation is “ball busting.” It seems like bamboo is taking the high road and accepting responsibility, which I applaud. Blaming the proctors is unproductive.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited November 2018 894 karma

Did I say "stopping cheating/blatant rule violation is “ball busting" " ?????? I'm just drawing a distinction -- not calling @Bamboosprout's proctor a ball buster. Incidences like that happen all the time. I'm sure plenty of people bubble in on their answer sheet after the section had already been called. You can have a proctor who sits and stares at their phone the entire time and not notice what you do. Or you could have one that watches everyone like a hawk. It depends on luck and other factors. My proctor let kids go to the bathroom even while the demographics were being filled out also let kids eat/drink during the test. I've also had a proctor who didn't take action when ppl brought their phones.

Anyways, I think you should write an addendum about it. I think this is an incident that probably happens way too often but people either just don't get caught or it isn't reported and I'm sure adcomms are aware of that and will understanding when you provide a compelling argument :blush:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Ugh I’m sorry man. I really appreciate the way you are taking responsibility though. I think a very brief C&F disclosure would likely be warranted, I’m pretty sure all schools you apply to will receive the write up of what happened. I’d encourage to keep your attitude of being responsible for your mistake and mentioning what you learned from it.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited November 2018 1694 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

Yeah. =) Only thing to do is to learn from it. What is a C&F disclosure? Ohhhh, I see. Character and Fitness. Got it.

1694 karma

Yeah, I think the proctor was doing what she thought was best. I think my punishment was more severe than standard, but still nothing out of the ordinary.

1694 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    Was it after the 5th section or one of the other sections? It's crazy how who you have as a proctor matters so much. I'm sorry but I'm sure it's happened before. Some proctors can really be major ball busters and others are so lackadaisical

It was the first section. It could have been worse. Yeah, it was nothing out of ordinary, but this proctor was definitely stricter than those I've had before.

1694 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    Sorry to hear this. Yeah i think that’s all you can do. Maybe you can practice timed 30 minute sections to increase your speed. I’ve tried it but not long enough.

Also does it reported to LSAC and show up when you apply? I had bad luck with proctors too. Had a proctor call time about 4 minutes early. Definitely hurt my logic games score.

Yeah, I should have been better, and worked harder. Yeah. I think it'll be reported to all the schools when I apply. RIP

1694 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    I'm sorry to hear about this. With that being said you seem to be owning this mistake, which is good. The advice dispensed on portions of this thread might start to answer some of your questions:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/18117

David

Thanks, dave. I guess not much can be done about it, besides a C&F addendum. I simply should have done better.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I'm so sorry to hear about this, @Bamboosprout. If I understand you correctly, you didn't finish taking the test because of this? Did the proctors say that your score will be cancelled automatically?

https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-school/misconduct-irregularities
    "If the subcommittee representative determines that a preponderance of the evidence shows misconduct or irregularity, then a report of the determination is sent to all law schools to which the individual has applied, subsequently applies, or has matriculated."

I think you'll receive an email or letter from LSAC notifying you of the charges if you haven't already.

edited December 2018 1694 karma

@akistotle said:
    I think you'll receive an email or letter from LSAC notifying you of the charges if you haven't already.

They emailed me telling me the score will be cancelled and that there will be a "V" next to the test date to indicate there was a violation.
    They have yet to determine whether there was a misconduct or irregularity, at least that I know of. I think they don't email me unless something is wrong, so I guess that's a good sign.