Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Law Schools Pay LSAC Report Fee

notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member

36 out of 37 law schools I emailed waived my application fee. I am wondering if they would also be willing to pay the report fee LSAC charges? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

If you were given an LSAC fee waiver, then this would get waived because LSAC granted this to the applicant, but otherwise the reporting fee won't be waived.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

No, the LSAC fee is never waived unless you have a fee waiver through LSAC directly (theirs is need-based only and very stringent).

• notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member
    267 karma

No, I mean will they pay the LSAC report fee for me. I know they don’t have the ability to “waive” the fee the way they do with their application fee, but so they have the ability to pay the report fee only behalf?

I guess I’m stepping into uncharted territory right now.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@john1roger said:
    No, I mean will they pay the LSAC report fee for me. I know they don’t have the ability to “waive” the fee the way they do with their application fee, but so they have the ability to pay the report fee only behalf?

No, they don't.

• Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

@john1roger you can always call the schools individually and asks them individually but i kind of doubt it since they already gave you a fee waiver. @NotMyName had a discussion about this a while back regarding the $45 additional report fee but i couldn't find the link...

edited October 2018 267 karma

Fixeddice,

What experience do you have with this? Have you asked them and been rejected? Have you heard reports of others asking for this and being rejected?

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@john1roger Please don't ask the school to pay for your LSAC fee. You are asking whether a school will pay you to apply to their school. If schools did this, I'm sure you would find it easily in a Google search. I think AdComs would scoff at receiving this question in their email.

Here is the thread about fee waivers Mia mentioned above https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/17398/fee-waivers

edited October 2018 1804 karma

@john1roger said:
    What experience do you have with this? Have you asked them and been rejected? Have you heard reports of others asking for this and being rejected?

I'm not brave enough to ask that question to law schools directly. But I did overhear one valiant soul asking this question to a T13 law school admissions dean. The answer was a flat out no.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@FixedDice said:

@john1roger said:

I'm not brave enough to ask that question to law schools directly. But I did overhear one valiant soul asking this question to a T13 law school admissions dean. The answer was a flat out no.

Yikes. Yeah this definitely isn't a question to ask lol.

1804 karma

@Sprinkles said:

I mean... If I were an admissions officer, I probably would take that question as an understandable faux pas. People like saving money, after all.

To me, asking whether a school can pay for the LSAC reporting fee is incomparably understandable and better than attempting to imprint a lasting image on admissions personnel by asking long lists of obvious questions, e.g. "What's your school's median GPA?" "What's your school's required LSAT score?" "Does your school have clinics?" "What's your school's ranking?" "Where is your school located?" "Does your school offer joint degree programs?" (I actually witnessed someone doing this to an admissions dean.)

That's just me, of course...

11542 karma

@FixedDice said:

@Sprinkles said:

I mean... If I were an admissions officer, I probably would take that question as an understandable faux pas. People like saving money, after all.

To me, asking whether a school can pay for the LSAC reporting fee is incomparably understandable and better than attempting to imprint a lasting image on admissions personnel by asking long lists of obvious questions, e.g. "What's your school's median GPA?" "What's your school's required LSAT score?" "Does your school have clinics?" "What's your school's ranking?" "Where is your school located?" "Does your school offer joint degree programs?" (I actually witnessed someone doing this to an admissions dean.)

But waiver information is also readily available on most, if not all, law school sites and none of them mention the CAS fee. Even LSAC covers only up to 4 schools (last time I checked) for the CAS. I guess if you were comparing the two side by side, asking for a CAS fee would be 'better' than asking about clinics lol :neutral:

267 karma

Guys, just because there is not any information out there about schools paying the CAS fee, and just because schools don't have information about it on their website, doesn't mean that schools won't/don't do this sort of thing.

From an admissions perspective, I wouldn't want to advertise the fact that I have the ability to pay a CAS fee for prospective students. I am sure there are some students out there that law schools would want to have attend their school, so they would be inclined to do whatever it takes to have a shot at capturing that applicant.

It also doesn't seem like that outrageous of a thing to ask. $45 dollars can be a lot of money to some people. Don't you think the worst they could do is say no? Do you think asking this question to admissions would leave some sort of lasting negative impression?

Thanks for the feedback. Although i'd love to save money on the reporting fee, your responses are telling me I should just go ahead and pay it.

1804 karma

@john1roger said:
    I am sure there are some students out there that law schools would want to have attend their school, so they would be inclined to do whatever it takes to have a shot at capturing that applicant.

Yes, but there are boundaries. Why should a school go out of its way and pay fees charged by an independent third party? I don't think even people with +4.0 GPA and +175 LSAT don't get that kind of goodwill.

It also doesn't seem like that outrageous of a thing to ask. $45 dollars can be a lot of money to some people.

Which is what the LSAC fee waiver is for.

Do you think asking this question to admissions would leave some sort of lasting negative impression?

I am not inclined to expect the best of the human nature from people who are forced to weave their ways through hundreds or thousands of pages every day for months, all while accommodating questions and updates and requests and interviews and whatnot.

5320 karma

One thing that's been lost in this conversation is that you applied to 37 schools. Is that true? If these applications have already gone out, that means you've paid $1,600 in CAS fees.

While I would still recommend you not ask this question, if you do, please let us know what each of the schools say!

11542 karma

@john1roger , did you apply for the LSAC waiver? Even with that waiver, which is surprisingly the most generous of them all, they only cover 4 CAS even if you apply to all the schools. Still, it saves you quite a few bucks.

267 karma

I asked for app fee waivers from 37ish schools. The only school that declined to waive my app fee was Hawaii.

No, I do not plan to apply to all 37of then. I have not submitted any applications yet. I will probably apply to about 15, but even so, that’s a lot of money in reporting.

267 karma

The LSAC reporting waiver is nice, but it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of equity of income disparity.

Those who have high incomes or family’s with high incomes will be able to more easily apply to more schools and therefore have more leverage for negotiations.

edited October 2018 267 karma

What if I ask anonymously. What could the harm be in that? Aside from taking a couple minutes of the admissions persons time.

It might be interesting to see how schools respond.

edited October 2018 11542 karma

@john1roger , seems like you have your mind set already :) Asking anonymously won't pose any obvious harm but I'm sure the school will either A) not respond because you did not provide info to who you are, or B ) ask for your LSAC ID.

5254 karma

Paying the reporting fees is not part of Admissions' protocols. I think their belief is probably that this is why there's an LSAC fee waiver and they don't set these fees or collect their bills, plus the individual schools just deal with application fees and/or their waivers, where applicable.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

No they will not.

8392 karma

You're obviously welcome to do what you want, and take the gamble that they won't be irritated by it or think it's presumptuous to ask.

There are some financial resources for admitted students to help paying for visits, but that is only after you are admitted. That means the school already knows your profile very well and has a vested interest in you attending. Without first reading your entire application file though, I don't think they would want to be shelling out that kind of cash, paying for people to apply.

Yes, it's unfortunately a barrier for a lot of people. That's what need-based LSAC waivers are for though. And it sucks, but those with more money will always have more opportunities. They are the ones who can also afford private tutoring and admissions consultants to help them. There are lots of disparities. Schools and LSAC do what they can to make things a little fairer, but I highly doubt schools will pay someone to apply. Maybe if you're Malala or Malia Obama. But they're not going to pay the average joe, even with good stats, to apply.

But if you do ask, let us know what they say. I've been around law school boards a good amount of time and have never seen anyone mention this, so there's little to no data out there.

edited October 2018 8392 karma

@FixedDice said:

@Sprinkles said:

I don't think we necessarily need to compare faux pas. But that said, I think I'd put these on similar levels. One is uninformed and making a bad impression, the other is presumptuous and making a bad impression. If someone were to ask me to pay for them to apply without knowing anything beyond stats, I'd think they had kind of a big head on their shoulders.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Contrary to what everyone has already posted, Alabama sent out a coupon code to pay the $45 CAS fee. It came with an application fee waiver. Shout out to Bama! So at least one school “pays” the report fee and I wish more would!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I've had at least one school send an offer that they would pay the application fee plus waive their own. So, some schools do this.
    But I would probably not ask a school to do this for me. If I have a waiver of the school application fees, that's pretty cool.

5320 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream @AudaciousRed

Woah. That’s great. Maybe this will catch on. In any case, I still agree w Audacious in that asking seems unwise.

5254 karma

It would be great if more schools did this. I hope they take it into consideration. We're going to most likely have so many student expenses.

edited November 2018 267 karma

update for everyone:

y'all was wrong. I axed many of the schools that were sending me solicitations that I did not plan on applying to. Most said no, but one said yes. Schools do in fact offer CAS reporting fee waivers, for anyone interested.

If you plan to apply to a lot of schools, I'd say there is NO harm in asking. It's an innocent enough question and totally not presumptuous.

PS: The school that said yes was a top US News top 50.

5320 karma

@john1roger said:
    update for everyone:

y'all was wrong. I axed many of the schools that were sending me solicitations that I did not plan on applying to. Most said no, but one said yes. Schools do in fact offer CAS reporting fee waivers, for anyone interested.

If you plan to apply to a lot of schools, I'd say there is NO harm in asking. It's an innocent enough question and totally not presumptuous.

PS: The school that said yes was a top US News top 50.

Nice! The effort has brought you $45 so you are not empty handed. Although, you haven’t shown that there is “no harm” or that any of the adcoms who denied you didn’t find the request “presumptuous”.

267 karma

Lol well in the same vein no one has shown me that they would find it presumptuous. Y’all are just the ones saying you think it is, but that’sjusr y’alls.

Maybe I will try to apply to this school that gave me the fee waiver (even though I do not plan to attend) If I get accepted with a full ride then can we safely say no harm was done by my asking?

267 karma

You know what. I’m going to email the adcoms back and ask if they thought my request was presumptuous.

5320 karma

Of course it’s just our opinion. We know 2-3 schools do this and have anecdotal support (pro and con) for the general opinion of adcoms with regard to to a prospective student asking. 98% of the schools you asked rejected you and we don’t know how they received it. None of us are an authority.

This is a public forum and others will be influenced by what’s stated here. I think we should be really clear on what we know and what we don’t. I’m happy to be wrong. I’m all for 0Ls saving money, but not without considering the risk of damaging their image and I think there is a reasonably assumed chance of that.

edited November 2018 267 karma

It was more like a 10% success rate. I emailed roughly 10 schools that sent me solicitations (an already biased sample?) and received a positive response from 1. (This was a separate test with schools different from the 36 I asked application fee waivers from)

I think it would be helpful for everyone to know how this type of question is received by an adcom, but part of me feels like the adcoms will be obliged to answer a certain way when I ask them how they received it. In any case, I will ask, and will post the responses here.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I think the useful data point to the original question has been answered: Q: Do any schools pay your CAS fee, A: Yes. For that data point, thanks to the OP and the others who have confirmed this.

I fear that this thread is now devolving into a "I gotcha" discussion without a whole lot of long term merit. For @john1roger , I think you have answered your question. It is my humble opinion that you run a dangerous risk of continued engagement with admissions committees along this line of questioning. Do you think an email with this question (to those that have already answered in the negative) will be received as a valuable use of an admission staff's time and provide meaningful insight to you as an applicant or do you think there is a very real risk of turning yourself into "that applicant" with frivolous questions like this? Is there any actual value to you or anyone else in knowing the answer to "was my previous question presumptuous?" IMHO, you run a real risk of making yourself look less desirable than other candidates and could induce questions about your overall maturity.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

5320 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I think the useful data point to the original question has been answered: Q: Do any schools pay your CAS fee, A: Yes. For that data point, thanks to the OP and the others who have confirmed this.

I fear that this thread is now devolving into a "I gotcha" discussion without a whole lot of long term merit. For @john1roger , I think you have answered your question. It is my humble opinion that you run a dangerous risk of continued engagement with admissions committees along this line of questioning. Do you think an email with this question (to those that have already answered in the negative) will be received as a valuable use of an admission staff's time and provide meaningful insight to you as an applicant or do you think there is a very real risk of turning yourself into "that applicant" with frivolous questions like this? Is there any actual value to you or anyone else in knowing the answer to "was my previous question presumptuous?" IMHO, you run a real risk of making yourself look less desirable than other candidates and could induce questions about your overall maturity.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Agreed!

• willis91willis91 Alum Member
    101 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream said:
    Contrary to what everyone has already posted, Alabama sent out a coupon code to pay the $45 CAS fee. It came with an application fee waiver. Shout out to Bama! So at least one school “pays” the report fee and I wish more would!

I got an email a couple of days ago with a coupon code from Maryland for the CAS fee! I definitely wish more schools would do this. The $45 is a barrier to applying even if you have an app fee waiver.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

@katewillis91 said:

@LivingThatLSATdream said:

I got an email a couple of days ago with a coupon code from Maryland for the CAS fee! I definitely wish more schools would do this. The $45 is a barrier to applying even if you have an app fee waiver.

That’s awesome! Good to know there are more schools taking this into consideration. I was recently accepted in Bama with 100k in scholly. Gonna definitely visit and see how I like Alabama. I wouldn’t have applied without the fee waiver and $45 CAS coupon code. Now I may be cheering “roll tide” next year.

edited November 2018 1804 karma

You know what. I’m going to email the adcoms back and ask if they thought my request was presumptuous.

In any case, I will ask, and will post the responses here.

Do remember that law school admission personnel are a part of the service industry, where one just doesn't say what (s)he thinks outright to potential or current customers. Also recall that, unlike an average server at a local eatery, some of these people work for (inter)nationally renowned educational institutions. Every single word or action reflects on them and their institutions. A simple mistake or mishap is more than capable of drawing ridicule on a(n inter)national scale.

If you ask such people whether you find your question presumptuous, of course they will say no. They may even add a few soothing sentences, e.g. "We are here to answer any and all questions you have." But their friendly response notwithstanding, they are human beings too.

On a personal note, I have administrative experience and have spent a good amount of time interacting with administrative professionals. Believe me, quite a number of them have memories like an elephant's and can be as vengeful and unforgiving as the Erinyes when they get pissed. And like I said before, I'm not so inclined to expect the best of the human nature from people who are forced to forge their ways through hundreds and thousands of pages every day.