Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submit a poem as Statement of Purpose?

amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member
edited November 2018 in Law School Admissions 178 karma

Hello. I'm a spoken word poet and I was thinking of submitting a poem as my Statement of Purpose. I've converted my SoP into a spoken word piece and I've even formatted it so it fits in two pages, the word count being around 650. Does it sound like a good idea to send it in or am I taking too much of a risk?

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

You mean as your personal statement? Or is Statement of Purpose an optional statement? Can you copy and paste a statement-of-purpose prompt here?

• amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member
    178 karma

I mean my personal statement.

• jurislawjurislaw Alum Member
    51 karma

To be brutally honest with you I don’t think it’s a good idea. Of course it depends on the specifics, by poem do you mean a text narrating a clear story?
    The main advice I hear everywhere is not to try too hard, don’t be creative, just tell your story in the most natural way that it’s familiar to the admission people (essay format).
    You could directly ask the schools you’re interested in, I’m sure their opionin is more valuable.

178 karma

Thank you so much, after hearing out some other people too, I think I agree with you there. Thanks for your honest thoughts :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

If you have a 178 and a 4.0 sure
    If not, don’t

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Its great to put you write poetry on your resume, or write a personal statement about performing poetry, but a poem for a personal statement doesn’t match the needs of the writing situation. You could possibly have an excerpt of a poem in the statement, but that would connect to the narrative of the PS

• Prudenter DiscerePrudenter Discere Alum Member
    234 karma

Do not submit a poem. I've heard from deans of admission at several top 14 schools not to do that, and that every year they receive poems, and just put it to the side.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited November 2018 454 karma

I totally commend you wanting to take risks in the personal statement, but this is not the way to do it. Be bold in what you write, but not in how you format or your medium. They are asking for an essay, so give them an essay. You can be poetic in your choice or words and the way you style your writing, the admissions officers get bored reading personal statements i'm sure, so spicing up the writing in a tactful way can improve your chances, but don't submit a poem.

178 karma

Thank you everyone! I hear ye, and I'm sticking to an essay :)