Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waitlisted on Early Decision

So. I was waitlisted at University of Washington! Im looking at this as a glass half full. I applied early decision to set me up for the Gates Scholarship through UW. Its their public service scholarship that offers covered tutition.

The deadline is 1/15....should I email the school to remind them I plan on applying for the scholarship even though Im not admitted?

They also stated not to send in continued letters of interest. I'll know around May if I get off the waitlist.

I moved from CO to go to UW so Im riding the waitlist out to the bitterend! I also plan on applying to other schools/scholarships just in case things fall through.

Thanks!

Comments

• If they say not to write a letter of continued interest, it may be that they don't want to get tons of emails from waitlisted students who they already understand are a decent fit for the school. I'm obviously not a guru in admissions, but maybe it's best to hold off on sending them anything. Apply for the scholarship and just wait to hear back. Maybe they'll be notified of your application and view that as an indicator of continued interest on its own.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited December 2018 8392 karma

I'd maybe e-mail them to ask if you would still be able to apply to the Gates scholarship, but honestly if you are waitlisted then I don't know if you are eligible to do so. They interview Gates finalists in early April and it sounds like they don't review WL until May. So, an e-mail to admissions to clarify would probably be most helpful.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Also, I'm really sorry this happened! UW is so unnecessarily rigid and selective in their process, in my opinion. I think because they are just far and away the best school in the northwest they treat their admissions processes like they are a T14. I live in Seattle and applied last year, will probably re-apply this year too but man they really frustrate me!

• Michelle ObamaMichelle Obama Alum Member
    111 karma

@"Leah M B" heya! We've been talking for literally a year, I can't believe you're in Seattle! I appreciate your advice! I think its fair to ask UW about other scholarships/applying for FASFA. Especially since Seattle University seat deposit is due April and at the latest, Ill hear from UW in May....
    Anyway, I'm sending out positive vibes for you!