Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help. My score hasn't improved.

bluesphynx1bluesphynx1 Member
in General 15 karma

I've been studying on and off for about a year and a half. This past August I started taking it very seriously, but my score won't improve. I am stuck in the mid/high 140's. The higher I've ever scored is a 151. I've taken lots of practice tests, gone over them etc. I even took a power score class that I thought I was doing well in. In class, I was the one always answering the questions from my tutor and my classmates turned to me for explanations, and when doing the hw on my own, untimed, I got most of the questions right and I truly understood them. However, when it came to the real thing I did badly. The first time I took the LSAT I got a 148( Sept), and a 146 in Nov after taking the Powerscore class but to be fair I had a family situation the night before that kept me distracted during the test/kept me up the night before. I've also gone over the LG and LR Bibles. I took a practice test today and got a 145...
I am set to take it in January because I have a fee waiver and would like to apply to some schools to see what happens.I need to somehow break 160, which feels impossible.
I work full-time and my living situation is awful (family stuff), which I think might have something to do with my lack of improvement, but I can't change it.
I know there's always the option of waiting until next cycle, everyone tells me that, but I am so ready to go to law school, I've been working for almost 4 years in the legal field as an admin and now legal assistant. I am at the point where I am ready to take the next step. Doing the same thing for another year would kill me, I am not challenged at all and extremely bored. So I want to at least give it a try this cycle. I am interested in public interest. Any advice or ideas about what could work for me or what's worked for you is helpful and appreciated. Or if anyone has tips about law school apps that might be relevant to me, I'd love to hear them. I am desperate at this point and I just feel stupid bc I have really tried. Below is a little bit about myself to give some context.

LSAC gpa is a 3.3 ( got two NP's which LSAC counts as Fs, but will write an addendum as I have a legit reason for why it happened). URM. I work full-time/bad living situation so I have to study after work and in the morning outside my home.

Comments

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

I'm sorry you're going through this. Do you have test anxiety?

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    737 karma

Make sure you are practicing timed. If you drill LR, do it with a timer and only give yourself 80-90 seconds per problem at most. If you do LG, time the games with a stopwatch and try to get to the point where you're doing them in the time JY/7Sage recommends. Another thing you might try is just doing individual, timed sections to focus on a given section rather than doing full preptests. You need to memorize the inferences for LG and know the relevant concepts for LR so well that the time constraints of the real test don't hold you back too much.