Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Court bailiff or paralegal before law school?

PrincessPrincess Alum Member
in General 821 karma

I decided to take a gap year, so I am deciding where I should work. Which experience would be better for law school? Court bailiff or paralegal? Why? What is similar or different between these jobs?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

In order to be a court bailiff you need to be a police officer. That position would take more than a year to get into.

Paralegal is more accessible, but be careful a lot of states/jobs require you to have a paralegal certificate (also longer than a year) in order to call yourself a paralegal. You could do much of the same work as a legal assistant though!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, these are two very different jobs, usually and they're likely going to want experience and/or an exam or some other objective measure. A bailiff is usually more of a security department position while paralegals work in many different settings. Maybe find some local lawyers to speak with and sort of look around for what you might like to do. Also, there's public service programs in many states and cities, and some of them are in law-related settings. What phase of LSAT studying are you in?

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Thank you for helping! So, I checked and it said it is not a security position, so I have the interview coming up for bailiff. I am just more worried that should I be aiming for a paralegal job over the bailiff job? Also, my state does not require the paralegal certificate, so I am pretty much open to both of these jobs. Which one should I be aiming for or which would be a bit "better" for law school/ resume? I really appreciate your help!

@LSATcantwin said:
    In order to be a court bailiff you need to be a police officer. That position would take more than a year to get into.

Paralegal is more accessible, but be careful a lot of states/jobs require you to have a paralegal certificate (also longer than a year) in order to call yourself a paralegal. You could do much of the same work as a legal assistant though!

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    edited February 2019 428 karma

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

Try looking for a litigation clerk job. Very entry level and good exposure to law but also not super busy; which has been useful because applying to law school is super time-consuming and exhausting lol.

• LawSkewlProbsLawSkewlProbs Alum Member
    103 karma

Your one year job experience isn't going to be the deciding factor of whether you get into the law school of your choice or not. I think you could work at Dollar Tree and get into a T14 if your LSAT/GPA warrants. What is your degree in? Do you think you'll land a job as a paralegal?