Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Addendum...proof needed?

Hi everyone! NYU's "optional statement" (i.e. addendum opportunity) says to provide:
"any information ... to give you full credit for your accomplishments, to help the Committee reach an informed decision on your application."

Then they specify that, "Information that has been helpful in the past includes, but is not limited to, descriptions or documentation of disabilities, a history of standardized test results, unusual circumstances which may have affected academic performance, or personal/family history of educational or socioeconomic disadvantage. This list is not all-inclusive, but we offer it for you to think about as you consider whether such information might be relevant in your case, and to assure you that including it is quite appropriate."

Does this mean that including information like you scores on the SAT or ACT is helpful to include? Also, if you are writing an addendum about a now-resolved medical issue impacting your LSAT score, does this mean it would be helpful to provide medical documentation to add validity to your claim?

Hadn't seen these specifications on any other application as of yet and am not sure how to interpret it.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    Hi everyone! NYU's "optional statement" (i.e. addendum opportunity) says to provide:
    "any information ... to give you full credit for your accomplishments, to help the Committee reach an informed decision on your application."

Then they specify that, "Information that has been helpful in the past includes, but is not limited to, descriptions or documentation of disabilities, a history of standardized test results, unusual circumstances which may have affected academic performance, or personal/family history of educational or socioeconomic disadvantage. This list is not all-inclusive, but we offer it for you to think about as you consider whether such information might be relevant in your case, and to assure you that including it is quite appropriate."

Does this mean that including information like you scores on the SAT or ACT is helpful to include? Also, if you are writing an addendum about a now-resolved medical issue impacting your LSAT score, does this mean it would be helpful to provide medical documentation to add validity to your claim?

Hadn't seen these specifications on any other application as of yet and am not sure how to interpret it.

Thanks for any help!

I don't know the answer to the medical issue question, but I think I can address the SAT/ACT thing. Both Berkeley and NYU apps have the same language and what the Berkeley adcomm told me was that the addendum space can be used to explain anything that might raise questions about your candidacy. One of the examples he brought up was that if you scored low on the SAT/ACT and then received a very high undergraduate GPA, that may be proof that your standardized exam scores are not reflective of your potential to succeed in higher education. Thus, if you have low LSAT, it may also mean that it's not reflective of your ability to succeed in law school. Not entirely sure if Berkeley and NYU hold the same beliefs about those types of addenda but it makes sense to me. Hope that helps and you can always shoot a quick email to the admissions office about it.

• @eRetaker said:

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

Thanks for any help!

I don't know the answer to the medical issue question, but I think I can address the SAT/ACT thing. Both Berkeley and NYU apps have the same language and what the Berkeley adcomm told me was that the addendum space can be used to explain anything that might raise questions about your candidacy. One of the examples he brought up was that if you scored low on the SAT/ACT and then received a very high undergraduate GPA, that may be proof that your standardized exam scores are not reflective of your potential to succeed in higher education. Thus, if you have low LSAT, it may also mean that it's not reflective of your ability to succeed in law school. Not entirely sure if Berkeley and NYU hold the same beliefs about those types of addenda but it makes sense to me. Hope that helps and you can always shoot a quick email to the admissions office about it.

That's a really great idea. I was hoping to submit those two apps tomorrow, but may wait to call or email them for clarification on Monday. When you spoke to the representative at Berkley, did they say that simply mentioning your SAT/ACT score was enough or do you need to include like the official document or a screenshot of the portal or something?

2043 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

@eRetaker said:

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

Thanks for any help!

That's a really great idea. I was hoping to submit those two apps tomorrow, but may wait to call or email them for clarification on Monday. When you spoke to the representative at Berkley, did they say that simply mentioning your SAT/ACT score was enough or do you need to include like the official document or a screenshot of the portal or something?

It sounded like mentioning it was sufficient and that they will request verification, if needed, at a later date or at admission. But that is probably another question to ask during your call or email. From my experience, they have been very responsive (within 30 or so hours).

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

I agree with @eRetaker but I also heard from the assistant dean of admissions at Berkeley that providing proof is always preferred (like an unofficial report/ screenshot from college board or something). The more you can document, the more credible you'll seem is essentially how it came off

2043 karma

@"Victoria." said:
    I agree with @eRetaker but I also heard from the assistant dean of admissions at Berkeley that providing proof is always preferred (like an unofficial report/ screenshot from college board or something). The more you can document, the more credible you'll seem is essentially how it came off

^