Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mention family connection to a school? - 7Sage Forum

Mention family connection to a school?

john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 426 karma

My sister did her undergrad at one of the schools I plan on applying to and currently does research for the university. She is also applying to one of the school's PhD programs.

Part of the reason I bring this up is this school will be a reach for me. Is something like this even worth bothering to mention to the ad com? And if it is, what would be the best way to incorporate this into an application?

Thanks for your input

Family connection
  1. Worth mentioning?11 votes
    1. Yes
      27.27%
    2. No
      72.73%

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Depends on the school and the context. I don't even think you'll get a family alumni boost out of it. But I think in addressing why that school you could bring up how much you like the location from visiting the school.

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    edited December 2018 426 karma

@10000019 yeah that's what I was figuring :( Not a legacy (if that's even a thing in law school) But yeah I was thinking about bringing it up in a sort of why x manner to show a connection to the school.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Same as above. I don’t think it’s worth mentioning in general, except in maybe a Why X. Like if you are trying to convince a school that you are serious about it, you could say how much you like it and your sister has told you a lot about the school and area that makes it really appealing to you, as well as being close to a family member.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I don’t think that talking about the undergrad school/campus would be helpful at all. Maybe you could mention it in one sentence in your Why X if it ties in with the rest of it.

Law school apps often ask if you have a family member who attended the law school specifically.