Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck With Studying

shaaleachshaaleach Member
edited December 2018 in General 31 karma

I am 60% through my studying and took a practice test to see if i would feel comfortable registering for the January test. Only scored 4 points higher than my already under 145 score. First Lsat i scored 141. Super bummed decided not to test in Jan. and wait until march. What do i do now? Do i go back and start over from the beginning of the CC or keep pushing through? just completely lost 3 1/2 months later only a 3 point increase? #Help

Comments

• At this point, it may be helpful to wait until March. I don't know when exactly the January exam is happening, but people generally score below their PT average on the real exam (test day nerves etc.). If you're already PTing below where you want to score, I wouldn't expect anything miraculous on test day. Depending on how much time you have to study per day, March could work. What are your studying methods? Are you watching the CC videos and doing the practice sheets that accompany each lesson? Have you taken any practice tests?

• shaaleachshaaleach Member
    31 karma

I read a post that said dont take any practice tests until you finish your CC. Im about 60% through CC. I only took a PT to see if my score increased high enough to take Jan. Since in only scored 4 points higher than my first official LSAT i took i feel a little discouraged because im already more than halfway done with CC and theres no change in my scores.
    Ive been watching and doing all the practice sheets and taking notes on each lesson.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

60% is less than two-thirds of the way through the CC, then there's a post-CC process that occurs as we finish the CC, then finally PTs along with post-CC exercises. Don't give up, don't rush into PTs, and trust the process. We're here for you.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

First of all, you didn't lose 3 1/2 months. You need to be honest with yourself about how long it's going to take YOU as an individual - with your study habits - to get the score that you need. It takes some people years to get the score that they want on this test and the average high scorer probably spends at the very least 6 months preparing for this test and commonly more than a year. 3 and a half months of prep is very little, especially if you haven't finished the CC in that time. I know students who have finished the entire CC and taken notes and finished all of the drills in less than 2 months. For me, it took 4 months to finish the entire CC, and I had only improved 4 points from my diagnostic! Every student is different, and just because you spent 3 months into something and saw only a few points improvement does not mean that you are not learning along the way.

At a 145, it appears you are struggling in every category. For that reason, I think it makes sense to go back through the CC and not have a TIME goal but have a SCORE goal. Once you get the score that you want to get, consistently on practice tests, then you are ready to take the test. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are magically going to get a good score on test day if your PT's don't reflect that.

Best of luck, feel free to reach out to me if you have any specific question! :)

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    ... I think it makes sense to go back through the CC and not have a TIME goal but have a SCORE goal. Once you get the score that you want to get, consistently on practice tests, then you are ready to take the test. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are magically going to get a good score on test day if your PT's don't reflect that.

^This.