Maximizing Connections - Best way to have mentors/connections vouch for you?

sarahwylie01sarahwylie01 Alum Member
in General 11 karma

Hi All -

I am applying for this cycle and have a fair number of connections (friends, colleagues, mentors) who have attended law schools that I'm currently applying to. I already have my letters of recommendation, but was wondering if there was a way to utilize these connections in support of my application (in an appropriate and professional way). Would it be worth asking them if there's an existing channel for them to provide informal "recommendations" to their school networks? Is this a thing??

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you! Happy holidays, and good luck to everyone studying/applying!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited December 2018 4850 karma

Everyone is different so take this a n=1. I "work" ("work" = volunteer 3 days a week) in a legal clinic physically inside the law building of a school I am applying to. All of the lawyers that work there went to the school. Two have asked if I wanted them to talk to admissions on my behalf. I have told them all no. The school has my application. If that's not enough to sell them on me, then to me it is what it is. I don't want to create some type of weirdness among the group based on my possible acceptance / non-acceptance. How would it work out if I got denied even with their "recommendation". On the flip side, would there always be an undercurrent of "you got in because I went to bat for you" if I got in? I don't want either type of that energy in my life.

On the other hand, I did have lunch with an alumni from another school that I am interested in, specifically to learn more about the school and get her impression. Unbeknownst to me at the time, she did send the admission office a positive email about our meeting. I feel okay about the second example because it was an completely unsolicited act.

Again, these situations are unique to me. You do you. Good luck!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

If your friend knows the Dean, or someone high-up in the law school, give them a call and explain your situation. Tell them that you applied to "x" school and that you wanted to know if they had a close relationship with someone in the school. If they don't know anyone at the school or in the admissions office well, then they won't be able to help you that much. If they know someone at the law school or are a former faculty member then it would certainly help if you had them call the person that they know after you made your application.