Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When law schools implicitly offer scholarships...

Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 1058 karma

Hi,

I have one official LSAT score on my account but I'm not applying this cycle as I'm preparing for a retake next year. But a few law schools have been sending me e-mails when I didn't even apply to any of them. All of the e-mails have used one of the following sentences to begin with:

a) Based on your LSAT/academic record, you'll LIKELY receive a scholarship...
b) Based on your LSAT/academic record, IF you are admitted, you'll be eligible for a guaranteed scholarship...
c) An applicant with your academic profile can POTENTIALLY receive a scholarship up to ...

Hypothetically, if I apply, am I more or less guaranteed scholarships? I don't know if this is their way to lure people into applying for whatever reasons(and end up not giving me any money or even admit me) or that it's safe to be convinced that I'll be offered some money at those schools. At most of these schools, my LSAT is above their median but there are some exceptions. For instance, at one of the schools that have sent me such e-mails, my LSAT is right at their 25th. (But my GPA is above their 75th)

What do y'all think?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I may potentially answer your question later today.

Does that carry any weight? Doesn't to me. If you're interested in attending the schools or potentially using them as leverage then consider asking for a fee waiver and apply.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

"Guaranteed" is very strong language. The best public source of information concerning your potential scholarship information is probably lawschoolnumbers; however, that data is subject to a bit of reporting bias. Mass emails may indicate a school that a school has seen your numbers and is fishing. They may also mean they are trying to increase their number of applications.

Bottom line: Don't read too much into mass marketing emails from law schools. If you want to see, apply. That's the only way to see for sure.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    "Guaranteed" is very strong language. The best public source of information concerning your potential scholarship information is probably lawschoolnumbers; however, that data is subject to a bit of reporting bias. Mass emails may indicate a school that a school has seen your numbers and is fishing. They may also mean they are trying to increase their number of applications.

Bottom line: Don't read too much into mass marketing emails from law schools. If you want to see, apply. That's the only way to see for sure.

Thank you! :)