Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing My Personal LG Best Practices

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
edited June 2017 in Logic Games 5320 karma

(Edits for additions)

Hey ya'll, I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I am hoping that sharing this will help to reinforce it in my own head. LG is my worst section by far. I started out going -16+ and without any understanding. I read Kims LSAT Trainer and that helped but I was still feeling hopeless. I am now Foolproofing 1-35 and finally feeling a modicum of proficiency. I understand/recognize 99% of the stuff they throw at me. I am like Yoda during BR. But it's not all there under timed conditions yet. Basically, I have this gap between BR and timed. I possess all the ability and knowledge to go -0, but I need to train all this knowledge and ability to work together consistently and reliably when the clock is ticking.

Drawing Best Practices
-Read "with pencil down". Circle/underline key words. Never get burned by mistaking "exactly one" for "at least one".
-Visualize the gameboard before drawing. Difficult games may appear as one thing but actually be another.
-Write/draw neatly and use the space wisely (remain calm. calm writers write neater)
-Keep it as visual/representative as you can. Don't be mechanical at this stage and feel free to modify pieces in their "pool" if it is helpful.
-As you apply rules to a master gb, eliminate those. Before moving on to the questions, consider rearranging the remaining rules so that everything is together (rewriting)
-When splitting, visualize the outcome and leave room for further splits.
-MBT/F: if you have doubt about the right AC, diagram it. Don't get stuck here. Literally ANY world that abides by the rules will give you the correct AC. If you are stuck, skip it and return.
-Don't draw elaborate sub gbs, make them representative, but skeletal.
-If you find an error on the master gb, return to previous questions.

Inferences
-"Not both. A-->/B". "A/B" MUST MUST MUST be written for one of the "out" spaces.
-"Pinching the board" on sequencing games. If you have a boxed item (AB for example) consider the restriction that places on other items. Must leave room for the boxed item.
-"Conditional Sequencing: forced in rule". If there are 2 "out" slots remaining, and you still have to place A-->B-->C, then C must be in.
-"Dual subcategory forced ordering". 2 subcategories and one of them never runs consecutively, maybe a forced ordering (every other).
-"In/Out Contrapositive". Always consider these. Can unlock an entire game.

Strategies
-Slow-->Smooth-->Fast
-Spend extra time with a confusing rule, get it right!
-Take note of possible distributions
-Finish translating the rules, then STOP. Is this game open or restricted? Should it be split? Where are the restrictions or major triggers?
-Focus on restrictions -- always
-When splitting, try to eliminate complicated rules
-Complete "if" questions first
-Trust your gb. Select an AC and move on. Circle and return if need be.
-With new rules, check the AC after each major inference (especially on MBT/F questions)
-MBF = (4) CBT and CBF = (4) MBT
-Wordy AC? Scan them and check the less wordy first.
-Be aware of corresponding wrong AC "mirrors"
-When drawing sub GBs, mark those that break the rules in some way otherwise you might try to use these for future questions

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I just had to learn why we use a standard grouping diagram vs a grouping chart, so I might as well add it in.

Standard grouping games are more restricted. Game pieces can't go in more than 1 category. That goes for the highly restricted in/out games but also for multiple category games like assigning campers to camp counselors.

We use the chart when the game pieces are not bound by that inherit restriction. On the street food game, nothing stops each person from eating each of the foods (until the rules). We use the chart to manage that lack of restrictions.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

This is great! Bookmarking it :smiley:

My strategy is simple: "Read carefully! Spend time making inferences upfront! But don't spend TOO much time!" lol

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Very thorough, thanks for this. LG was my bugaboo in the beginning, but fool proofing has really upped my confidence immensely. Fingers crossed for a test with 5 sections of LG

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Fingers crossed for a test with 5 sections of LG

Oh that would be great. I will pray for that...

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Thank you for this! Super helpful!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:
    This is great! Bookmarking it :smiley:

My strategy is simple: "Read carefully! Spend time making inferences upfront! But don't spend TOO much time!" lol

Also saving this. Thank you. A bunch of solid information jam packed into one post.

Thank you again :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Very thorough, thanks for this. LG was my bugaboo in the beginning, but fool proofing has really upped my confidence immensely. Fingers crossed for a test with 5 sections of LG

Haha after all the damn work I'm putting into LG, I better get 5 sections of LG ;)

5320 karma

@cdaddario2 This is the post I mentioned today.

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    426 karma

@NotMyName thank you. This should be required reading.

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

@NotMyName Thanks a lot, for this and todays meeting.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Not all heroes wear capes

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Can you please elaborate a little on: "Read "with pencil down". Circle/underline key words."?? If I'm circling (or highlighting, I like to use a highlighter) key words, then my pencil/highlighter isn't down. Do you mean resist the urge to underline/highlight the whole damn passage or question?

5320 karma

@"Rachael Lipton" I mean tracking the content as I'm reading it with my pencil. You can see JY doing this in his live footage taking a fresh PT.