Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Academic Publications and T14 Admissions

So it appears that one of my essay was selected by an undergrad IR journal (Yale Review of International Studies)... To what extent does it help me with my application to a T14 school? How should I maximize the benefit it may bring me? Thank you!

Comments

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    edited January 2019 231 karma

@OtakuWeeaboo try listing it in your resume. That's where I listed publications anyway, on recommendation from Admissions office hour session.

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    edited January 2019 428 karma

I have a scientific publication published by a peer-reviewed scientific journal and I just listed it in a publications section on my resume.

Edit: Also I talked to a former student at duke who used to be a part of adcom there and he advised me to list my publications on my resume.

• msk12345msk12345 Alum Member
    edited January 2019 247 karma

If you wrote a thesis too, do a separate publications/thesis section. I put mine underneath my Education section. Put where it was published too and add context if that publication isn’t self explanatory. So they know it wasn’t published by like Spoon U or something like that.

Edit: I have no idea how helpful this is for t-14 admissions. My guess is very marginally.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

If you have any publications in academic journals, newspapers, internet blogs, or have completed a thesis, you should add it in a publication section under Education. Make sure you cite the piece correctly (MLA style guide is online). Writing is a valuable skill to have and develop in law school. Any proof of your writing skill will generally be a positive addition to your application.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

As to the question of to what extent this helps your application to T14, I'm not sure this is something that as a soft factor helps a ton, which is to say, outside of a "unicorn soft," is not a huge help to our chances at T14. The general consensus (from everything I have read) is that the single greatest contributing factors to one's chances at T14 are LSAT score and GPA. A soft factor like this certainly won't hurt, but for the vast, vast majority of ll applicants, T14 is a numbers game. So, I personally look at something like this certainly not as a negative, but if someone is below both 25ths, not the make or break aspect of one's application. If someone is a borderline candidate, this could be a contributing factor to admission.

Full disclosure, I'm not an expert on admissions.