# of Rec. Letters

lsat_kp20lsat_kp20 Alum Member
in General 148 karma

I noticed that a lot of schools require only 1 or 2, but you can send up to 4. Do most people only send the required number?

I am conflicted because I would like to send at least one academic one and one work related one. What have people done in similar situations?

# of Rec Letters
  1. How many have you sent?15 votes
    1. Only sent the required #
      33.33%
    2. Sent more than required and/or sent the Max
      66.67%

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I have personally done a mix. A lot of schools directly address this on either their website or in the application instructions. I have seen both “we require 2, but is advised to send as many as you have up to 4” as well as “only 2 are required and please don’t send more unless you have a good reason.”

• lsat_kp20lsat_kp20 Alum Member
    148 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I have personally done a mix. A lot of schools directly address this on either their website or in the application instructions. I have seen both “we require 2, but is advised to send as many as you have up to 4” as well as “only 2 are required and please don’t send more unless you have a good reason.”

Thank you! I will do that

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Most advice I've seen is you shouldn't send any extra UNLESS you're sure that they will improve or add to your application. 2 great/good letters plus an extra lukewarm letter will only bring down your whole application, and in that case it would be better to not include that third letter. In other words, unless you're sure that your third or fourth recommender is writing you an absolutely stunning reference, don't risk that they just write something lukewarm and hurt your whole application.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

It depends. If you send more than the required number, they should add something new rather than just reiterating the same thing.

• TheRach3TheRach3 Alum Member
    35 karma

I'd echo previous posters. I sent 3 for each my schools (they required 1-2 and accepted 3-4), but only because all 3 were stellar recommenders and I believed the combination of the 3 (because of their varying perspectives and relationships with me) significantly strengthened my application. Otherwise I would have used only the minimum number.

I originally had a different 3rd recommender in mind but decided against using his letter because it overlapped too much with someone else's and I thought the other person's alone would be stronger.

• msk12345msk12345 Alum Member
    edited February 2019 247 karma

I had two years of work experience when I applied, and I sent three letters. Two were from professors, and one was from a supervisor from my job.