Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harvard/Yale law school

mahsa.shakeri14mahsa.shakeri14 Free Trial Member
in General 8 karma

Hi
I just learned about this app and I want to go to Harvard or Yale law school. I’ve not started preparing for lsat yet as I’m graduating in summer. I wanted to know how long did y’all take to score 170? What approach you took? How many hours a day you study? Any good sources?
I would really appreciate your feeedback

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited February 2019 1804 karma

If you are shooting for HY, then you may want to score 171 at the very least. That's without considering your GPA, which better be 3.5 or above.

It took me about 2 years to score 170 (without 7Sage), but I'm on the dumb side. I would personally recommend 7Sage's Ultimate+ package, but obviously I'm biased and there are many different approaches.

At the very least, if you are truly serious about HY, secure all PTs currently published by the LSAC.

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

Take a look at their stats. To have a good shot at getting in you’ll have to have GPA and LSAT over their medians.

• Patz4lifePatz4life Alum Member
    214 karma

I haven't taken the real test yet (taking it in June) but it took me 6 months to get hit 170. Keep in mind that I'm still averaging about 169 on my last PTs and only got 170 once (have taken 5 PTs total). I used ultimate + and LSAT Trainer

• mahsa.shakeri14mahsa.shakeri14 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

Thank you for your feedbacks. Ive a 4.0 GPA and I’m very serious about HY. I want to give my test in Nov. I prefer taking a in person class as early as in June to learn how to study for lsat not to waste anytime. But I don’t want to waste the money I don’t have on every other program. And most programs are online.
    I want to be sure I’ve enough time to get the score I need in Nov

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

If you're looking for in-person courses, I heard good things about Powerscore and Manhattanprep. 7sage, like others mentioned, seems to be sufficient for your goals as well, though it's online.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I've had a friend who got there in 3 weeks, and a friend who got there in 3 years. Everyone else is everyone else, and only you know you. Only you will know how long it will take, and what works best for you once you've actually started. 7Sage, Manhattan, and LSATTrainer are good. I do not recommend Powerscore or Blueprint.

• msk12345msk12345 Alum Member
    edited February 2019 247 karma

@"mahsa.shakeri14" The plural form of feedback is feedback, FYI.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hey! You mentioned that you haven't started studying for the LSAT yet. Have you had the chance to take a diagnostic test? That is going to tell you where you stand and only then you can plan your next moves. Personally, I feel like I got overconfident with this test. I thought that I scored high on the ACT so easily without studying, so I could do the same on the LSAT. I knew it was a hard test, but again I always knew I was a great test taker.

The Brutal Truth: LSAT is just a whole different beast. It is a challenging test, but it is possible to conquer if you use all your resources. What I recommend is that you take your diagnostic, update us on your section scores, and we can go from there.

Most likely though, you should set atleast 6+ months to study. This is going to vary for everyone, but 3 months is just not enough time. I thought I was fantastic at tests and just needed 3 months to study, only to realize that this is going to take some time. It takes time to foolproof the logic games, to understand all the different LR types, and to drill all the sections. It takes time to take the preptests, review your scores, and study from them. The test has changed a bit overtime, so you need time to adjust to that as well.

8 karma

@bamboosprout what do you think of LSATMax? And thank you for your recommendations...

8 karma

@Princess thank you. After reading these comments I’ve decided to sign up for a program now and study as much as I can along my school studies until I graduate and dedicate full time.
    I can’t say I’m the best test taker as I get anxiety with tests. But, I know once I decide I can really study.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited February 2019 1694 karma

@"mahsa.shakeri14" said:
    @bamboosprout what do you think of LSATMax? And thank you for your recommendations...

I've heard good things about LSATMax, but haven't tried it myself. They seem to have a very similar curriculum to 7sage, and similar prices. I would say that 7sage is better for self starters (no "homework" or "textbooks", and only drills that you do yourself), and has a great community. You can see this by how open the program is and how the much of the materials and forums are open to everyone for free. LSATMax might be better for people who need more structure and hand-holding. The idea of studying LSAT on mobile is also interesting, but I doubt the effectiveness of any LSAT program that can be done over mobile. But apparently, because there are fewer students, you can more easily get access to the teachers/owners of LSATMax. You probably can't go wrong with either.

Like @Princess says, take a diagnostic test first though, yeah.

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

It's honestly best to take the test first to know where you're at right now. I strongly advise you to NOT enroll in any Kaplan course or other courses. This is a test which you really should try to self-study for. I think it's so important to learn the material yourself, to present yourself to learning in this style, figuring out your weaknesses, and growing from there. You can always get tutors and such afterwards who work specifically with YOU ONE ON ONE. Trust me,I tried to research many different programs and spoke with many students about them. Most agreed that 7sage is the better option or wished they had done this instead. You get all the tests, explainations, a great community, and tutors if you need them all through 7sage. The studying by yourself is important because that's what we will do in law school too. You need to learn these traits because these skills carry over to law school, rather than just having information thrown at you and other students in programs. I strongly encourage you to take the diagnostic test, sit down for 2ish hours in a quiet library and finish it. Then, find a program or enroll in 7sage. I've been here for almost two years and I assure you that this website has ALL the tools for us to succeed, but we just need to know be willing to take advantage of it.

@"mahsa.shakeri14" said:
    @Princess thank you. After reading these comments I’ve decided to sign up for a program now and study as much as I can along my school studies until I graduate and dedicate full time.
    I can’t say I’m the best test taker as I get anxiety with tests. But, I know once I decide I can really study.