Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a sense of discouragement

KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
in Off-topic 807 karma

Lately, I have been feeling a sense of discouragement. I am losing focus and I am having trouble reading. as predicted, my confidence is lacking as well. #helpme

Comments

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Hi! I'm sorry that you're feeling discouraged and I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. The following is advise I have for you, but also for myself:

It's so hard to remain positive while studying for this test, not seeing results at times, and just getting discouraged. What may help is just taking a break for a few days, then review through the curriculum again. Try to just spend time with family, friends, and have fun though. Don't become so focused on the test that you're just getting miserable and losing focus. Don't let the numbers be impacting your confidence in yourself. Just let the tests be for some time, go through CC, do some logic games, and just try to understand material. Make sure you're taking time for yourself, go workout, listen to music, and have fun.

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    edited February 2019 807 karma

@Princess Thank you so much! 😥💙

• deanfmosleydeanfmosley Alum Member
    6 karma

Just try to be as positive as you can. This is a hard and stressful time for all of us. I am actually waiting another cycle because I want to get into my dream school (Upenn)... Just be confident and remind your self that you are capable of accomplishing this no matter what!!! I listen to pod cast when I am not feeling motivated and I read through the forms.. Yes some people are naturally smart, but for a lot of people like me.. this test takes time!! Don't let it control you, you control the test!! Hope it all works out :)

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited February 2019 1694 karma

Try creating and following a system/process and not a goal. The test is a marathon in itself and not a sprint. You will surely burn out and feel miserable if you count every step, or even every kilometer. Create a routine, and follow that routine to the best of your ability. It will give your life a framework and foundation. Having the expectation of what you will be doing everyday will help you do it. But also build breaks and spontaneity into your routine once or twice a week, or a few days in a month. Focus on yourself, and your tasks at hand. Ignore any comparisons to others, and even to yourself. Always be critical and retrospective, but also always believe in your ability to improve. Always try to improve the system that 7sage and you have created and get feedback, but also believe in the system and its ability to help you. Fix your sleep schedule and follow it with discipline, and control you food, alcohol, and caffeine consumption. Your body, biologically, will automatically respond positively to this. Also try finding a hobby or two, or a part time job to pursue while you're studying. The world loses colour if we don't fill our lives with variety. It is the spice of life after all.

I wish to help, but don't read the rest if you can't handle tough love. It's just my perspective.

Objectively, you must treat this like a trial by fire. Remember, however you are feeling right now, and however you respond at every moment, are indications of how you will feel and respond in law school. So think really hard about why you're doing this in the first place. I know this is not a great analogy and people can excel in law school without a great LSAT, but if you are already this burnt out during the warm up, how do you expect to run the actual marathon that is law school? Dig deep, and really grasp firmly on why you're doing this, and use this motivation to propel you through the doldrums, otherwise, maybe it isn't worth it, and it's better to realize this now than after 100k down the drain. I'm an economist by study, so it's all just cost/benefit to me, and I apologize if I come across negatively. I don't mean to. I just want to discuss both sides with you. So what if your score goes down, so what if you don't feel any improvement. If that's enough to give you pause, then quit while you're ahead, kid. Just treat your situation like a flaw question, and pre-phrase some reasons something seemingly bad doesn't necessarily mean something bad.

I think I've read your comments before, and remember you as a smart and analytical person who has what it takes to triumph over the LSAT. Believe in yourself. And make that belief iron. Posts like these are only temporary relief. The only source of motivation that is evergreen is your own mind, and if you can't find fuel within that, you will sputter and choke. To throw in a corny quote: Know thyself, and you will know thy enemy. Hope my comment helps somehow.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Wow; thank you for that @Bamboosprout. I know you weren't speaking to me specifically, but I heard you.

807 karma

@deanfmosley said:
    Just try to be as positive as you can. This is a hard and stressful time for all of us. I am actually waiting another cycle because I want to get into my dream school (Upenn)... Just be confident and remind your self that you are capable of accomplishing this no matter what!!! I listen to pod cast when I am not feeling motivated and I read through the forms.. Yes some people are naturally smart, but for a lot of people like me.. this test takes time!! Don't let it control you, you control the test!! Hope it all works out :)

Thank you :smile: that means a lot to me. By the way, this was awesome: "Don't let it control you, you control the test!"

807 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    Try creating and following a system/process and not a goal. The test is a marathon in itself and not a sprint. You will surely burn out and feel miserable if you count every step, or even every kilometer. Create a routine, and follow that routine to the best of your ability. It will give your life a framework and foundation. Having the expectation of what you will be doing everyday will help you do it. But also build breaks and spontaneity into your routine once or twice a week, or a few days in a month. Focus on yourself, and your tasks at hand. Ignore any comparisons to others, and even to yourself. Always be critical and retrospective, but also always believe in your ability to improve. Always try to improve the system that 7sage and you have created and get feedback, but also believe in the system and its ability to help you. Fix your sleep schedule and follow it with discipline, and control you food, alcohol, and caffeine consumption. Your body, biologically, will automatically respond positively to this. Also try finding a hobby or two, or a part time job to pursue while you're studying. The world loses colour if we don't fill our lives with variety. It is the spice of life after all.

I wish to help, but don't read the rest if you can't handle tough love. It's just my perspective.

Objectively, you must treat this like a trial by fire. Remember, however you are feeling right now, and however you respond at every moment, are indications of how you will feel and respond in law school. So think really hard about why you're doing this in the first place. I know this is not a great analogy and people can excel in law school without a great LSAT, but if you are already this burnt out during the warm up, how do you expect to run the actual marathon that is law school? Dig deep, and really grasp firmly on why you're doing this, and use this motivation to propel you through the doldrums, otherwise, maybe it isn't worth it, and it's better to realize this now than after 100k down the drain. I'm an economist by study, so it's all just cost/benefit to me, and I apologize if I come across negatively. I don't mean to. I just want to discuss both sides with you. So what if your score goes down, so what if you don't feel any improvement. If that's enough to give you pause, then quit while you're ahead, kid. Just treat your situation like a flaw question, and pre-phrase some reasons something seemingly bad doesn't necessarily mean something bad.

I think I've read your comments before, and remember you as a smart and analytical person who has what it takes to triumph over the LSAT. Believe in yourself. And make that belief iron. Posts like these are only temporary relief. The only source of motivation that is evergreen is your own mind, and if you can't find fuel within that, you will sputter and choke. To throw in a corny quote: Know thyself, and you will know thy enemy. Hope my comment helps somehow.

@Bamboosprout Wow. Your comment was truly inspiring. A tear ran down my face just as I finished reading your words. Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective with me. I am just about ready to print this and pin it onto my corkboard

• hallandhalland Free Trial Member
    25 karma

Love this man 🙏🙏🙏> @Bamboosprout said: