Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meditation and Mindfulness

KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
in General 807 karma

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well :)

I recently began meditating to alleviate my increasing stress levels. I downloaded an app called Headspace that has helped a novice like myself practice mediation. I enjoy it very much and my only regret is that I did not do this sooner.

I am interested in learning how everyone meditates and practices mindfulness :)

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

How fitting with your username lol! Exercise/yoga and knowing when to take breaks have been my go tos for helping with stress. I also downloaded Headspace a while back, but I never made it into a real habit.

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    How fitting with your username lol! Exercise/yoga and knowing when to take breaks have been my go tos for helping with stress. I also downloaded Headspace a while back, but I never made it into a real habit.

:joy: haha! & thank you

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

Although I haven't made it a habit, I like the "Waking Up" mediation app by Sam Harris.

• Isabella-1Isabella-1 Alum Member
    44 karma

I meditate every morning before I start my day! I try my hardest to sleep with airplane mode on and keep it off until after I've stretched, breathed, and meditated. It has improved my focus and over all emotional balance substantially! I definitely think it's helping me focus on the LSAT.

• Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    298 karma

Starting to jump on the meditation wagon too! I downloaded a free app called 10% Happier that's been super informative and has video "lessons" that you watch right before guided meditating that brings meditation down to a more relatable level, if that makes sense! I haven't gotten into the habit of making it a daily practice yet, but that's the goal.

I also recommend exercise for stress reduction too. Nothing like lifting weights to let frustrations go (or cardio if that's more of your thing)!

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

@"Isabella-1" said:
    I meditate every morning before I start my day! I try my hardest to sleep with airplane mode on and keep it off until after I've stretched, breathed, and meditated. It has improved my focus and over all emotional balance substantially! I definitely think it's helping me focus on the LSAT.

Are we twins?! I also meditate each morning and stretch lol.

Talking to OP now, Headspace is beast, been using it for quite a while now.

• radpatel97radpatel97 Alum Member
    71 karma

I recently downloaded this same app as my friend recommended it to me. I absolutely love it. I have noticed myself feeling more relaxed and being more positive about the journey to law school! :)

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

Another free meditation app is inside timer. I tried calm and headspace but couldn't get into them and had a little more luck with inside timer after it was mentioned here on a different post. Meditation can really help with test day anxiety even if you haven't experienced it during prep.

807 karma

@mjmonte17 said:
    Although I haven't made it a habit, I like the "Waking Up" mediation app by Sam Harris.

Thank you! Just downloaded :wink:

807 karma

@"Isabella-1" said:

I like that! Thank you for your suggestion, I will try meditating first thing tomorrow morning :sleeping:

44 karma

@Lawster9 said:

@"Isabella-1" said:

Haha, definitely twins! It helps so much.

44 karma

@KeepCalm said:

@"Isabella-1" said:

I like that! Thank you for your suggestion, I will try meditating first thing tomorrow morning :sleeping:

No problem! PM me if you ever need anymore suggestions.

807 karma

@"Jay Tee" said:
    Starting to jump on the meditation wagon too! I downloaded a free app called 10% Happier that's been super informative and has video "lessons" that you watch right before guided meditating that brings meditation down to a more relatable level, if that makes sense! I haven't gotten into the habit of making it a daily practice yet, but that's the goal.

I also recommend exercise for stress reduction too. Nothing like lifting weights to let frustrations go (or cardio if that's more of your thing)!

Thanks! I just downloaded the app! Yes that makes sense :smile:

Exercise is great too! If I ever feel too lazy to work out, I will jot down "180" on a sheet of paper and dangle it on a fishing pole in front of the treadmill :joy:

807 karma

@Lawster9 said:

@"Isabella-1" said:

Nice!

807 karma

@radpatel97 said:
    I recently downloaded this same app as my friend recommended it to me. I absolutely love it. I have noticed myself feeling more relaxed and being more positive about the journey to law school! :)

I am so glad to hear that! I've been having a hard time staying positive :unamused:

807 karma

@"Victoria." said:
    Another free meditation app is inside timer. I tried calm and headspace but couldn't get into them and had a little more luck with inside timer after it was mentioned here on a different post. Meditation can really help with test day anxiety even if you haven't experienced it during prep.

Thank you! I am downloading it right now! Insight Timer, right?

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited February 2019 2124 karma

@KeepCalm Yeah I believe she meant Insight Timer. I love it! So many meditation guide options. A Sage shared during an AMA that he meditated in the morning and at night, and usually used it as a time to reflect on his prep habits and visualize his test day experience, which I found helpful to implement in my routine.

• Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    edited February 2019 298 karma

@KeepCalm said:

Exercise is great too! If I ever feel too lazy to work out, I will jot down "180" on a sheet of paper and dangle it on a fishing pole in front of the treadmill :joy:

Hahaha that's a great idea, especially since I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill lolol! 😆 I think working out really does help with mindfulness too in an active sort of way! I clear my head and just focus on how each movement feels and making sure I'm using proper form throughout, being mindful of how heavy the weight feels and if I need to go lighter or do less repetitions for instance. I can't tout the benefits enough but I'll stop before it gets annoying haha! 💪🏽😅

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

@KeepCalm yes my bad, insight timer, hope you find it helpful :) thanks @Kermit750

807 karma

@Kermit750 said:
    @KeepCalm Yeah I believe she meant Insight Timer. I love it! So many meditation guide options. A Sage shared during an AMA that he meditated in the morning and at night, and usually used it as a time to reflect on his prep habits and visualize his test day experience, which I found helpful to implement in my routine.

Oh that is good! I will definitely try meditating in the morning as well as at night!

807 karma

@"Jay Tee" said:

@KeepCalm said:

Hahaha that's a great idea, especially since I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill lolol! 😆 I think working out really does help with mindfulness too in an active sort of way! I clear my head and just focus on how each movement feels and making sure I'm using proper form throughout, being mindful of how heavy the weight feels and if I need to go lighter or do less repetitions for instance. I can't tout the benefits enough but I'll stop before it gets annoying haha! 💪🏽😅

Me too! & yes I agree! I found an article that goes into detail about mindfulness and exercising: https://www.verywellfit.com/mindfulness-during-exercise-1230998

BTW I love what you said here: "just focus on how each movement feels and making sure I'm using proper form throughout, being mindful of how heavy the weight feels and if I need to go lighter or do less repetitions for instance"

807 karma

@"Victoria." said:
    @KeepCalm yes my bad, insight timer, hope you find it helpful :) thanks @Kermit750

Thank you! Yes I like it very much! :smiley: