PT41.S2.Q13 (G3) - Each of the seven members of the board

firefistcaesfirefistcaes Alum Member
edited February 2019 in Logic Games 77 karma

Hello, I had a question concerning PT 41, Section 2 Q13. This is from LG 3. Q13 asks for a complete and accurate list of members that could be in the finance committee and in AC E (which is marked as the correct answer), the options listed are only M,U,W. When we follow the in/out procedure, we find that H is a possible member that can be added to this group (J.Y. even has so in his explanation), so my question is why is this correct then given that this question asks for a complete and accurate list? AC E seems accurate, but is it complete?

Admin note: edited title
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-41-section-2-game-3/

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I looked at this game and I noticed that JY got the answer by seeing which world each of the answer choices could belong to. He did not get the answer by selecting every game piece that could be in Finance from all worlds. So, I see your confusion because I would have thought that H should belong in the correct answer since H is included in one of the worlds.

I ended up doing a little digging and I found the answer in the comments section (gotta love all the helpful 7Sagers out there). Take a look at the interaction between henry_01 and Heart Shaped Box. Basically - the question is a "could be true" so yeah AC E could be true in one of the worlds and AC C could not be true in one of the worlds. Also, as Heart Shaped Box said in his comment, if the question had asked "which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the maximum number of people in Finance", then yes, we would need to count all of the game pieces in all the worlds but that's not what we are being asked. Subtle but def worth remembering for future games.

As an aside for this question, instead of doing it JY's way do the question by going through each of the rules - like you normally would for an acceptable situation question (usually the first question). You will see that AC C can't be possible because it violates the fourth rule that G and U are forever apart. If you don't see G or U in an answer choice then they both have to be in the other group and that can't happen - so another reason why AC C is wrong.

I hope this helped. Thank you for asking this question because it helped me too to figure out why AC C could not be the right answer and the subtle differences in the way certain questions are phrased.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2019 9372 karma

@firefistcaes said:
    Hello, I had a question concerning PT 41, Section 2 Q13. This is from LG 3. Q13 asks for a complete and accurate list of members that could be in the finance committee and in AC E (which is marked as the correct answer), the options listed are only M,U,W. When we follow the in/out procedure, we find that H is a possible member that can be added to this group (J.Y. even has so in his explanation), so my question is why is this correct then given that this question asks for a complete and accurate list? AC E seems accurate, but is it complete?

Hey @firefistcaes, I think this question is similar to this: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10937/pt42-s1-g4-q19-for-the-school-paper

This is from LG 3. Q13 asks for a complete and accurate list of members that could be in the finance committee

That's not what Q13 is asking.

Q13 is asking "Which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of the members...?" (1)

👉 (E) (Miyauchi, Upchurch, Wharton) could be a complete and accurate list. There is a situation where M, U, and W are in the finance committee and G, H, L, and Z are in the incentives committee.

I believe you thought Q13 was asking "Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the members could be...?" (2)

👉 If the question were asking for this, you would have to list every single member that can be in the finance committee.

The difference between (1) and (2) is subtle but actually pretty substantial.

• firefistcaesfirefistcaes Alum Member
    77 karma

Thanks for the helpful feedback guys! Your responses very important in understanding this question.