PT71.S4.Q25 (P4) - Physicists are often asked why the image of an object

Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
edited April 2019 in Reading Comprehension 1058 karma

I'm having a really difficult time eliminating answer choice E) in this one. I I chose this during timed, switched to the credited response C) during BR. C) is stated in an unambiguous fashion in paragraph 4. I understand why the author would agree with this but why is E) wrong? I've read multiple explanations online yet I'm still stuck.

Since the passage states that "mirrors are an exception to the fairly reliable equation between our perceptions and their associated mental constructs," aren't reflections in mirrors to be mental constructs interfering with an accurate understanding of how primary perceptions function? Is it wrong because of the word primary? Mental constructs are what encourage us to focus on imagined, false images, which hampers our understanding of real perceptions. That's my understanding...

Please help!

Admin note: edited title

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-4-passage-4-passage/
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-4-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

I think E is saying the opposite of what we need. Here's what I mean. We are told that our minds make up images for what our eyes see by forming mental constructs. We are also told that these mental constructs are usually accurate, but in the case of mirrors, they aren't. This is the theory of how our primary perceptions work. Our "understanding" of how primary perceptions work has to do with what I mentioned above - that our minds form mental constructs of the world indirectly. Our understanding of this is just knowing that.

What our minds do in the case of a mirror is actually a great example of this, so this front-to-back phenomenon really serves as an example of our minds doing this. An example of a theory certainly doesn't interfere with our understanding of that theory. It does the opposite. It supports our understanding of a particular theory by providing us with an example.

The example, however, is just one where our minds have it wrong, since mirrors are different than most objects in the world.